SiouxSports.com Forum

06-07 Mr. Hockey

Stiouxy

In most cases, X number of points in the West is significantly less if you were to play in the East. That point is supported by West teams losing in the first round of state the majority of years. Now, Eric Herbel must be a good player. However, does anyone think he is as good as someone who is leaving to play in the USHL, and is being scouted by the Columbus Blue Jackets? I doubt it. What probably happend was, a few coachs in the East split votes between Wurden and one of the other two candidates from the East. While every coach from the West voted for Herbel.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most cases, X number of points in the West is significantly less if you were to play in the East. That point is supported by West teams losing in the first round of state the majority of years. Now, Eric Herbel must be a good player. However, does anyone think he is as good as someone who is leaving to play in the USHL, and is being scouted by the Columbus Blue Jackets? I doubt it. What probably happend was, a few coachs in the East split votes between Wurden and one of the other two candidates from the East. While every coach from the West voted for Herbel.

I have seen both Herbal and Wurden play. Herbal was a great choice for ND player of the year, he is very deserving. It doesn't matter if he is going to Sioux City or is "rumored" to be a potential draft pick by Columbus, he was the best ND high player. Wurden had a poor state tournament and is probably overrated. He put up great offensive numbers but played very shakey defense. We will see how far he goes. Don't be surprised to see Herbal play beyond high school. Congratulations Eric!!!

If you are saying that the RR team next year will not have the ability to put up an undefeated record, I think you are sadly mistaken. This team will be one of the best teams ever in North Dakota high school hockey...mark my words!

Im saying that you cant have an undefeated if you lose to roseau.

I have seen both Herbal and Wurden play. Herbal was a great choice for ND player of the year, he is very deserving. It doesn't matter if he is going to Sioux City or is "rumored" to be a potential draft pick by Columbus, he was the best ND high player. Wurden had a poor state tournament and is probably overrated. He put up great offensive numbers but played very shakey defense. We will see how far he goes. Don't be surprised to see Herbal play beyond high school. Congratulations Eric!!!

Herbel had plenty of exposure playing for "AAA" (that team was hardly qualified to be a AAA team) and I don't see pro teams or college teams knocking on his door. If you want to go toe to toe with who is the better player (Wurden or Herbel) with an NHL scout, feel free to. Because by claiming Herbel was the best player in North Dakota that's exactly what you're doing.

It doesn't matter if he's going to Sioux City? Well apparently, Sioux City thought Danny Wurden was good enough to play in the USHL, while I have yet to see another USHL team pick up a player from North Dakota High School this season...

I won't be surprised to see Herbel play beyond high school (see Charlie Bair), but by saying Wurden wasn't the best player in the state your not only going against me, you're going against USHL, WCHA, and pro scouts around the country. Good luck.

Herbel had plenty of exposure playing for "AAA" (that team was hardly qualified to be a AAA team) and I don't see pro teams or college teams knocking on his door. If you want to go toe to toe with who is the better player (Wurden or Herbel) with an NHL scout, feel free to. Because by claiming Herbel was the best player in North Dakota that's exactly what you're doing.

It doesn't matter if he's going to Sioux City? Well apparently, Sioux City thought Danny Wurden was good enough to play in the USHL, while I have yet to see another USHL team pick up a player from North Dakota High School this season...

I won't be surprised to see Herbel play beyond high school (see Charlie Bair), but by saying Wurden wasn't the best player in the state your not only going against me, you're going against USHL, WCHA, and pro scouts around the country. Good luck.

I haven't seen either play(live), so I'm not about to judge who the better of the two are. I do think the point that knownothing was trying to make was that Mr. Hockey isn't selected based on who has the potential to be the best player, but who is currently the best. I've known of a few high school players that were drafted by the NHL, scouted by the USHL and WCHA(some of them didn't pan out), but that's based on a heck of a lot more than current performance.

My point exactly.

What is your point exactly? Danny Wurden is in Sioux City playing with the Muskateers right now. Why would he be there? Is Sioux City just getting his rights and hoping for major development in the summer months? I doubt it. The scouts in the NHL have various ways that they rank a players potential. While many players have potential, what is most considered is the odds the player will reach that potential. They rate players like 6.5 C. The C meaning they might reach there potential. An A meaning it is almost certain they will reach there potential. Point being, they don't just show interest in anyone based on potential. They player has to show them something in the present (besides potential) that tells them they could one day play in the NHL.

Being named Mr. Hockey does not mean you are the best player in the state. Not in the least. Being named Mr. Hockey does not even mean you were the best senior in the state. It does not even mean the majority of coach's in the state thought you were the best player. It means that more coach's voted for you than the other players.

My point. There are no NHL scouts interested in Eric Herbel. There are no WCHA teams interested in Eric Herbel. While he is a good player, he is not on the same level of Danny Wurden.

Don't mean this as a slam, but Paul Murphy was Mr Hockey.

Yeah, he played for the Sioux (for a while)...but where is he now?

WOW did you happen to be around when Paul Murphy played high school hockey? he was the best player on the ice, every game....so help me out with "your point" and on that same Note Branden Askew won MR Hockey and is playing professional golf now....so ya he prolly sucked too and wasnt deserving

WOW did you happen to be around when Paul Murphy played high school hockey? he was the best player on the ice, every game....so help me out with "your point" and on that same Note Branden Askew won MR Hockey and is playing professional golf now....so ya he prolly sucked too and wasnt deserving

You talkin' to me?

Didn't say Paul Murphy sucked.

He won Mr. Hockey, played for the Sioux, then what. After he coached in Dickinson, does anyone know what he is doing?

My "point" was...where is he now.

Geeze.

BTW, I don't know who Brandon Askew is, so I can't comment on him.

Didn't say Paul Murphy sucked.

He won Mr. Hockey, played for the Sioux, then what. After he coached in Dickinson, does anyone know what he is doing?

My "point" was...where is he now.

Geeze.

BTW, I don't know who Brandon Askew is, so I can't comment on him.

What are you trying to prove by stating, "where is Paul Murphy now"? He won Mr. hockey, played in the USHL and then played for a quality program in UND. I dont understand what you are getting at. Im sure anybody in high school hockey would be more than satisfied to have made it as far as Paul Murphy did.

What are you trying to prove by stating, "where is Paul Murphy now"? He won Mr. hockey, played in the USHL and then played for a quality program in UND. I dont understand what you are getting at. Im sure anybody in high school hockey would be more than satisfied to have made it as far as Paul Murphy did.

Askew is one of the best players North Dakota High School has ever seen.

I"M JUST WONDERING WHAT MURPHY IS DOING NOW!!!

NOTHING TO DO WITH MR. HOCKEY OR WHERE HE PLAYED.

IS HE IN THIS AREA? IS HE BACK IN MANVEL?

NEVERMIND....I'LL CALL HIS COUSIN AND ASK HIM. :)

So, where does Brandon Askew play?

IM jumpin on the bas siouxmama waggon too. what do u mean where paul muprhy is? he had a good career prolly better then u and i. also askew had a better career so dont go around askin where poepel are at.

What is your point exactly? Danny Wurden is in Sioux City playing with the Muskateers right now. Why would he be there? Is Sioux City just getting his rights and hoping for major development in the summer months? I doubt it. The scouts in the NHL have various ways that they rank a players potential. While many players have potential, what is most considered is the odds the player will reach that potential. They rate players like 6.5 C. The C meaning they might reach there potential. An A meaning it is almost certain they will reach there potential. Point being, they don't just show interest in anyone based on potential. They player has to show them something in the present (besides potential) that tells them they could one day play in the NHL.

Being named Mr. Hockey does not mean you are the best player in the state. Not in the least. Being named Mr. Hockey does not even mean you were the best senior in the state. It does not even mean the majority of coach's in the state thought you were the best player. It means that more coach's voted for you than the other players.

My point. There are no NHL scouts interested in Eric Herbel. There are no WCHA teams interested in Eric Herbel. While he is a good player, he is not on the same level of Danny Wurden.

IM jumpin on the bas siouxmama waggon too. what do u mean where paul muprhy is? he had a good career prolly better then u and i. also askew had a better career so dont go around askin where poepel are at.

OK So none of you have figured out what I'm asking.

It has NOTHING to do with the Mr. Hockey stuff.

Is Askew playing somewhere? Does he work at a bank? WHAT IS HE DOING?;)?

Does Murphy work somewhere around here? I know he was doing some stuff with the Manvel park board. Is he still doing that?

I'm just wondering WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

The ND senior hockey player of the year has nothing to do with playing in the USHL or having a pro team interested in you. It is simply the player that those who choose felt was the best high school player. It would be the same as the Heisman Trophy award winner in college football. That award is not given to the player with the best pro potential, it is given to the best college football player that year. Eric Herbal won the ND player of the year award..he was very deserving. Get over it!!! I hope Danny Wurden has a great career and is very succesful!

OK So none of you have figured out what I'm asking.

It has NOTHING to do with the Mr. Hockey stuff.

Is Askew playing somewhere? Does he work at a bank? WHAT IS HE DOING?;)?

Does Murphy work somewhere around here? I know he was doing some stuff with the Manvel park board. Is he still doing that?

I'm just wondering WHAT THEY ARE DOING!

Brandon Askew is pursuing becoming a golfer on the PGA tour (without much success I must ad) Played for the Ice Sharks tell he hurt his shoulder. Then played golf at UNLV and TCU throughout college

The ND senior hockey player of the year has nothing to do with playing in the USHL or having a pro team interested in you. It is simply the player that those who choose felt was the best high school player. It would be the same as the Heisman Trophy award winner in college football. That award is not given to the player with the best pro potential, it is given to the best college football player that year. Eric Herbal won the ND player of the year award..he was very deserving. Get over it!!! I hope Danny Wurden has a great career and is very succesful!

Knownothing, your name is very appropriate. I already addressed the issue of potential, and went in depth into why someone playing in the USHL is obviously overly qualified to win Mr. Hockey, and is almost definitly being snubbed if he does not win the award. You however, ignored those points and played something like a broken record. Anyone who is unbiased as to who wins Mr. Hockey would agree that Danny Wurden was the best player on the ice in the state of North Dakota. I'm not one to base the quality of someones play on points but Zach Miller put up numbers as good as Herbel in the East. Obviously he had better players with him, but the competition was much harder. If you consider all the above facts it's easy to come to the conclusion the Miller and Wurden split votes, and the West (who wanted to see there own succeed, with disregard to who the best player is) all voted for Herbel. It's a harsh reality.

Now, I'm not going to argue this anymore because your skull is obviously to thick to take in any logical information. In the next few months to a year you will be able to clearly see who the better hockey player is. And when the time comes I don't want to hear "he just reached his potential in those fews months". Please.