SiouxSports.com Forum

UM (non)scheduling decision

johnnyroyale

The fact that the University of Minnesota has decided to not schedule UND in any sports other than WCHA hockey should have major implications on UND's proposed DI move. Let's not forget that Wisc and IA enforce this same policy so those options are also limited. This has to hurt financially. NDSU received $350,000 for a FB game against UM this year and is due to receive an additional $375,000 for the game next year. That is just short of a million dollars for the athletic department in just over one year. Also, the Bison FB team is scheduled to go down to Ames, IA to take on the Cyclones in 2009 for yet another big payday and boost to the athletic dept. Maybe even a win as well. The fact that NDSU teams have been routinely competitive with UM teams is only icing on the cake. What are the options for UND right now? How can Buning spin his way out of this and garner the sort of $$$$$ that the athletic department so desperately needs to make this DI move successful?

Why don't we try to play teams like Kansas state or Nebraska. We don't have to play big ten schools. We could try to schedule some wac or Big 12 teams. How much do you think a team like Hawaii pays for someone to come play them?

I think you guys can do better than go all the way to Hawaii. But, I'm sure they would pat for you transportation and that should be enough.

IMO...the same thing that happened to the University of Illinois Fighting Illini...minus Chief Illiniwek.

The difference is that the U of I was able to convince the NCAA that the Fighting Illini nickname had nothing to do with American Indians. UND is not in that position, as far as I know.

Is there a "Dakota nation" to oppose or support it?

There is a Dakota tribe. And because that tribe opposes UND's use of the Fighting Sioux nickname, I doubt that it would look any more favorably on using the Dakotans as a moniker.

The difference is that the U of I was able to convince the NCAA that the Fighting Illini nickname had nothing to do with American Indians. UND is not in that position, as far as I know.

Exactly...Dakotans would have nothing to do with the Dakota tribe and everything to do with the state name. Just like the University of Illinois.

Exactly...Dakotans would have nothing to do with the Dakota tribe and everything to do with the state name. Just like the University of Illinois.

No, not exactly. That's only part of the reason that the NCAA allowed the University of Illinois to maintain the Fighting Illini nickname. This entry from Wikipedia states the full reason.

Some have incorrectly linked Chief Illiniwek with the nickname Fighting Illini. Though many assume that both are based on Illinois' Native American traditions, the name "Illini" was first associated with the school by the student newspaper, which changed its name to The Illini in the late nineteenth century. (The paper is now called The Daily Illini.) The addition of the adjective "fighting" originated about five years before the appearance of Chief Illiniwek as a tribute to Illinois soldiers killed in World War I. Similarly, the on-campus football venue, Memorial Stadium, was named in honor of these fallen soldiers. As stated above, the NCAA has exempted the names "Illini" and "Fighting Illini" from its ban on "hostile and abusive" Native American imagery, leading many to believe that the name will continue to be used regardless of the fate of Chief Illiniwek.

Based on what Myles Brand has stated in the past, whether or not the NCAA continues to act as a surrogate for the Sioux tribes on this issue is largely dependent on whether representatives of those tribes continue to complain about UND's nickname. Personally, I find it rather diffiuclt to believe that anyone who objects to the use of "Sioux" would go along with "Dakotans."

No, not exactly. That's only part of the reason that the NCAA allowed the University of Illinois to maintain the Fighting Illini nickname. This entry from Wikipedia states the full reason.

Based on what Myles Brand has stated in the past, whether or not the NCAA continues to act as a surrogate for the Sioux tribes on this issue is largely dependent on whether representatives of those tribes continue to complain about UND's nickname. Personally, I find it rather diffiuclt to believe that anyone who objects to the use of "Sioux" would go along with "Dakotans."

Ok. First of all...we are not (yet) called the "Dakotans." This is a theoretical scenario. If UND wanted to become the "Dakotans" then use the same argument as the U of I and state that it is named after the school newspaper..."The Dakota Student". If we wanted to become the "Fighting Dakotans" then state the former plus a tribute to North "Dakotan" soldiers killed in OIF and OEF. I don't see why this theoretical scenario is so different than that of the U of I.

If UND must change its nickname I am certain that the new nickname will be as benign as possible to avoid having to fight the same battle in the future.

READ: CRIMSON RIVERCATS

BTW...I decline remediation.

Ok. First of all...we are not (yet) called the "Dakotans."
I agree. :ohmy:

I'm just not buying idea that the NCAA would treat UND like it treated UI if we did happen to become the Dakotans. The NCAA is obviously determined to act as a surrogate for the Sioux tribes. If the real, live, still-in-existence Dakota Sioux complained, I'm guessing that would be enough for Myles Brand and company to keep UND on the NCAA's list.

In that respect, UND's situation is very different from the Illinois situation. Plus, the NCAA has consistently shown that it's decisons have little to do with logic or treating members equally.

If UND must change its nickname I am certain that the new nickname will be as benign as possible to avoid having to fight the same battle in the future.

I suspect that you're right about that -- unfortunately.

I agree. :D

I'm just not buying idea that the NCAA would treat UND like it treated UI if we did happen to become the Dakotans. The NCAA is obviously determined to act as a surrogate for the Sioux tribes. If the real, live, still-in-existence Dakota Sioux complained, I'm guessing that would be enough for Myles Brand and company to keep UND on the NCAA's list.

In that respect, UND's situation is very different from the Illinois situation. Plus, the NCAA has consistently shown that it's decisons have little to do with logic or treating members equally.

I suspect that you're right about that -- unfortunately.

If we ever had to change it, I would not want it to relate to Native Americans at all...Best to leave that to the fear mongers and the PC crowd. I would rather focus on the positives of western culture in the state...The fighting Norwegians or Swedes or Germans, etc. should do the job - Lord knows the NCAA wouldn't stand up for the scandinavians@! :D

BobIwabuchiFan