SiouxSports.com Forum

Delta State vs GVSU

SiouxMD

Congratulations to the Lakers for getting to the National Title game again this year. It will be a good matchup with NWMSU.

Now that I've paid my respects to GVSU, I have to be honest: I am having trouble getting motivated to cheer for the Lakers next week. We are rivals (not with the same venom involved with the Bison and Omaha, but rivals nonetheless) and I have a hard time swallowing the fact that we are playing second fiddle to someone else in D-2 football after years of building our own program up and years of playing second fiddle to the Bison (and others like Northern Colorado).;) The last 5 years (even with the 2004 win at the Alerus Center) have been a bitter pill to swallow.

Is it more palatable that it's you guys and not Omaha or NDSU? Definitely. Does it still suck? Definitely.

If I sound overly bitter and angry, I apologize, but it gets to the point where you just can't stand it anymore. You get sick and tired of tipping your hat to someone else all the time. I am probably as big of a fan of Sioux Football as I am of Sioux Hockey, and I always have believed that our football program was capable of being as much of a national power as our hockey program has been. But it hasn't happened. And that is very frustrating to this season-ticket holder. :blush:

Having said all that, I hope you guys move up to Division I-AA at some point in the future (or whatever the heck they are calling it now) so we can continue this thing for years to come.

In closing, congratulations and I hope we butt heads again next season (before we move up). :(

the difference is the Lakers actually respect us as rivals! That's why I respect them...they're good, VERY GOOD! We've had tough times the last 2 games but, to quote their head coach, "We HATE playing North Dakota." (That says a lot!) Think about this...GV could be going for their 6th straight NC if it wasn't for UND - that makes ndsu's run (that they make SO MUCH about!) look...frankly, spread out and ultimately insignificant....AND thank god they didn't have steroid testing* back in the day!! :blush:

(* anyone remember Joe Toth?? ;):( )

the difference is the Lakers actually respect us as rivals! That's why I respect them...they're good, VERY GOOD! We've had tough times the last 2 games but, to quote their head coach, "We HATE playing North Dakota." (That says a lot!) Think about this...GV could be going for their 6th straight NC if it wasn't for UND - that makes ndsu's run (that they make SO MUCH about!) look...frankly, spread out and ultimately insignificant....AND thank god they didn't have steroid testing* back in the day!! :blush:

(* anyone remember Joe Toth?? ;):( )

The only ring he has is an NCC championship in '94.

AND if it wasn't for UND they could be going for their 6th straight national championship now! Now THAT'S a dynasty!!

Freakin busted coverage and tackle!! :glare:???:)

Eh, its been a rough week. Yeah, still upset about 2001.

Personally, I wouldn't mind one more meeting between GVSU and UND, even have it up in Grand Forks as well. Somebody's gotta beat ya in the playoffs in the Alerus. ;)