SiouxSports.com Forum

2006-2007 ND High School Hockey

The AAA label in North Dakota and every state for that matter is thrown around way too loosely. It seems that if you play in the summer, the team you are on is called a AAA team. I've been at tournements where those "AAA" teams couldnt compete with a good A team. I can only think of two or three summer teams that North Dakota has had that could have been considered a AAA team. An actual AAA team would usually lay a pretty good licking to a team from ND that claims to be AAA.

You are totally correct on the very loose application of the label AAA. That is why I gave examples of the programs traditionally recognized as AAA and who typically qualify for the Tier I USA Hockey National Championships. There are about 80 AAA teams that have websites across the United States and the top programs take players from anywhere in the country. It is also true that some AAA teams that are thrown together in the summer would be beaten, and have been beaten, by very good North Dakota or Minnesota A teams. In North Dakota there is the Pepsi Cup tournament that is billed as a AAA tournament. Most and maybe all of the teams in that tournament would not come close to competing with a true regular season AAA team such as those in the Elite Midwest AAA league (Honeybaked, Team Illinois, Victory Honda, Little Ceasar's etc). In the end the label AAA is best judged after the fact based on the performance of the team against other traditional AAA teams rather than how the promoters describe it in marketing it to prospective players and families.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are totally correct on the very loose application of the label AAA. That is why I gave examples of the programs traditionally recognized as AAA and who typically qualify for the Tier I USA Hockey National Championships. There are about 80 AAA teams that have websites across the United States and the top programs take players from anywhere in the country. It is also true that some AAA teams that are thrown together in the summer would be beaten, and have been beaten, by very good North Dakota or Minnesota A teams. In North Dakota there is the Pepsi Cup tournament that is billed as a AAA tournament. Most and maybe all of the teams in that tournament would not come close to competing with a true regular season AAA team such as those in the Elite Midwest AAA league (Honeybaked, Team Illinois, Victory Honda, Little Ceasar's etc). In the end the label AAA is best judged after the fact based on the performance of the team against other traditional AAA teams rather than how the promoters describe it in marketing it to prospective players and families.

Do many kids leave the state to play at the Tier One level as bantams or midgets? And if so where do they traditionally go?

Diechert was one of the best goalies last year and very easily could be the best this year.

Agreed, Deichert proved last year already that he was one of the top goalies in the state and he has put together a couple great games against quality teams this year. Arnason has the ability to be one of the top goalies int he state but we will have to see how he performs against some of the top teams.

FINAL: GPR 12, Shanley 1

Fargo South 4 GFC 1 FINAL

Fargo south struggled the whole game......it was a 1-1 game until 3 minutes left in the 3rd.....to even say that south is in a league of their own is insane......they played an awful game and there is no way that you could call fargo south the best team in the state or anywhere close to that.......WOW that is the word u could describe it as!!!

Fargo south struggled the whole game......it was a 1-1 game until 3 minutes left in the 3rd.....to even say that south is in a league of their own is insane......they played an awful game and there is no way that you could call fargo south the best team in the state or anywhere close to that.......WOW that is the word u could describe it as!!!

3-2 DL over North in OT. Very clean game, only like 5 penalties.

South and RR are very even. South has a better goalie, but i think RR has a bit of the edge offensively. DL is surprising. and central always plays good against good teams, but !@#!$ against the bad ones. Prediction for Jan. 4th ---- GFRR 5 GFC 3. Sioux suck.

Williston 3, Bismarck Century 2 ... in overtime.

No one cares about the west in ND HS Hockey. Every team in the east with the exception of Shanley and Wahpeton, are 5 times as good as any team in the west. They get lucky if there 1 seed beats the east 4 seed at state. they should start Class B hockey out there.

Not anywhere close to the top team in the state? So you're saying they're fourth or fifth in the state? South was missing 3 of their top 9 forwards, one from each line. You could tell the chemistry wasn't there all night.

Normally I would be biased as I played for RR last year, as much of you know but, when this stupid of a post gets posted I have to step in.

South beats GFC 4-1 at Central and GFRR beats WF in GF 4-3? Not anywhere close to the best team? WHo is the best team? Thoughts please.