SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's Endowments

dakotadan

Now I don't want any jokes about the title I picked for this thread... :silly:

I was curious if anyone on here is involved with the UND Alumni Association and Foundation and can find some numbers. I have been looking online to try and find some information about UND's finances. Specifically it's yearly annual budget and any information on endowments, etc. that are sources of funding. I have looked online but have not been able to find anything specific. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong area.

I did find some info on USD's website. They don't list any specific amounts but do have a link to lists of specific endowments in each department.

Now I don't want any jokes about the title I picked for this thread... :silly:

I was curious if anyone on here is involved with the UND Alumni Association and Foundation and can find some numbers. I have been looking online to try and find some information about UND's finances. Specifically it's yearly annual budget and any information on endowments, etc. that are sources of funding. I have looked online but have not been able to find anything specific. Maybe I am just looking in the wrong area.

I did find some info on USD's website. They don't list any specific amounts but do have a link to lists of specific endowments in each department.

We hashed this out a week ago on bisonville. I'll give you what I found then. Source is the NDUS Annual Financial Report FY 04-05. It doesn't give a breakdown on specific endowments, but it does give total amounts held by the major players.

According to this report, UND holds $8,697,873 in endowment investments(pdf pg. 73). The UND Development Foundation holds about ten times as much at $80,633,007(pdf pg. 27). This number does not take into account funds held in trust.

NDUS Annual Financial Report FY 04-05

Another official source is the UND Foundation/Alumni Association's Annual Report. This report gives a little more detail about how the assets are broken up. The UND F/AA holds total investments(including lands, buildings, trusts, etc.) of $124,044,066 and total assets of $143,626,117.

UND Foundation Annual Report

General wisdom is that well-invested endowment should return 10%, of which 5% is reinvested(3% to counter inflation and 2% to grow the fund) and 5% is used for the endowment's purpose. Using these guidelines, UND should be generating about $4.5M in endowment payouts using the NDUS numbers.

If you are looking for specific endowments and their sizes, I can't help you - sorry.

I hope this gives you a little of what you are looking for.

edit: specific endowments are listed towards the back of the Foundation Annual Report.