SiouxSports.com Forum

University of Alaska Fairbanks

MafiaMan

Aw oh!!!

Nanook is the Inuit name of the Inuit portrayed in the movie about Inuit, the Inuit name for polar bear and the Inuit god who is 'master of bears'. Isn't the polar bear the Inuit symbol for the god Nanook? What are the chances that the NC$$ will find the name and logo 'hostile or abusive':blush:?

I think we should be more sensitive to this issue. I mean, the ALaskan Nanooks no longer have to chare the honor with the BC Nanooks, the Yukon Nanooks, or even the Northwest Territories Nanooks now. Of course, those tribal leaders are investigating sanctions stating that this discriminates against Nanooks of a different location, but....

:blush:

Seriously, There's no point in this name change. It would be like renaming UND to the University of North Dakota North Dakota Fighting Sioux. There's already an 'Alaska" in the name. THat area is covered.

Seriously, There's no point in this name change. It would be like renaming UND to the University of North Dakota North Dakota Fighting Sioux. There's already an 'Alaska" in the name. THat area is covered.

That's what I I couldn't figure out. Must've been a long winter winter up there in Alaska Alaska for someone in the athletic athletic department to think this was a good good idea.

Aw oh!!!

Nanook is the Inuit name of the Inuit portrayed in the movie about Inuit, the Inuit name for polar bear and the Inuit god who is 'master of bears'. Isn't the polar bear the Inuit symbol for the god Nanook? What are the chances that the NC$$ will find the name and logo 'hostile or abusive':lol:?

Does this fall under the Aztec exemption for non-USA tribes? Where did the Inuit people live one minute before the first European explorer came upon their culture?? :blush: