SiouxSports.com Forum

Upperclass Leadership Lacking?

CAUNDfan

Who out there is satisfied with the performance of the upperclassmen this season?  

I haven't seen all the games, but the ones I have seen have all been losses and in those games the upperclass offensive players were MIA.  They did not establish any offensive threat.

To me, next to goaltending, this is the biggest disappointment of the season.  None of the upperclass offensive players have had the kind of year that demonstrates leadership and growth.  

In fact, Schneekloth is in the running to be the top scorer on the team!  When a defenseman who has not been known as a scorer is pushing the top of the scoring list, your offense is in trouble.

Having said that, I hope they can turn things around in the second half.  We can't rely on the freshmen, even if they are a very talented group.  We need Bayda or someone else (Skarperud?) to step it up another notch.

Go Sioux.

I've noted the same thing on a few different threads.  So far, those with the "C" and the "As" seem to lack any on-ice leadership ability IMO.  I think there is more potential for leadership with the younger guys, and I hope Blais and the team recognize this soon.  Nothing personal against the current captains, but they don't really seem to get the team functioning on the ice.

I think Bayda could have a great year if he were teamed with linemates even half the caliber of Panzer and Lundbohm.  I think the team lacks a lot of the on-ice chemistry that was so common on previous teams, perhaps due to so much youth and the missing intangibles Roche, etc would have brought to the team.

If the on-ice "fire" was still there, it would probably help cover up for the often dismal goaltending we've witnessed and the often missing defense, unlike in the past when one strong suite would help smooth over the weaknesses, e.g. special teams, defense, offense, etc.

Now, I think we are fully exposed and other teams are beating us across the boards.  Getting the team motivated to work a full sixty minutes and play closer to to their potential could go a long way to alleviating a so-far sorry season.

The one guy who is doing quite well is Schneekloth.  He is jumping into the offense when available and it is paying off for him.  He is challenging for top scorer for crying out loud!  That doesn't say much for our offensive players.

As I mentioned on USCHO, the youth excuse is real - the average experience level of those who play most games is 1.9 (LESS than Soph year).  However, that means the juniors should be the clear leaders out there.  I'm not really seeing that happen to the extent it should.

Bayda, Lundbohm, Spiewak, Notermann, & Skarperud all need to take more responsibility for leading this team.  SOMEBODY needs to step forward and give this team some consistency on offense.

Go Sioux.

I agree with the PP observations, HKN.

In Mankato, I think the lines were

Bayda, Spiewak, Lundbohm

Notermann, Hale, Skarperud?

Bochenski, Fournier, R. Connelly

Canady, McMahon, Massen?

I'm not absolutely positive on the 2nd and 4th line combos but I'm pretty sure I'm close.  And the 1st and 3rd lines were about right on.  I tell you what I think; these lines worked well.  However, Blais was critical of the backchecking on that 3rd line and it was broken up.  I would personally rather see them work out those kinks if they worked well together offensively.  However, there might be a reason Blais is paid the big bucks to coach and I'm only a fan.  One could be because I have never played the game......:biggrin:

HKN, I sense you are not happy with the changes in the lines.