SiouxSports.com Forum

What does this mean to you?

PCM

Obviously, this NA was not offended by this, as I was not offended. To me, it says that the whole "hostile and abusive" discussion regarding the Fighting Sioux nickname is not that decisive of an issue with NA's. If it were to be eradicated, would it solve all their social and economic problems? I think not.

I'm curious as to how people react to this image.

image01.JPG

What do you think when you see it? What message do you get from it? What does it symbolize to you?

I'm looking for serious answers here.

It looks like the Soldier and the Dancer (he is dressed in pretty typical Traditional Dancer Regalia) are the same person and have the same facial characteristics. Soldiers and Veterans are highly respected in all American Indian Cultures. It is always Veterans or Active Miltary who bring in and out the Eagle staff and Flags at the PowWow. Maybe it is a statement of yesterday and today and overall respect for our elders who served in the miltary (the tall grass and military uniform seem to be Vietnam era, but Im no expert). The circle is also very symbolic in this culture. The tipi design is pretty neat and you will see it in many variations on the beadwork and quillwork of Lakota dancers.

i think it is interesting how some people saw a soldier and an indian scout, when really it appears to be the same person.

Also, there were numerous Indian Languages used for the codetalking in WWII which included Navajo (which is the most well known) as well as Lakota, Commanche, Choctaw, Kiowa, Winnebago, Hopi, and Cherokee. so you're both right.

I guess I'd have to check with the PC police to see how I'm supposed to feel. After they give me the dictate, I'll let you know how they've told me to feel. BTW, how does one get a jersey from 1994 or 1995 with "North Dakota" only on it? I surmise that these jersies may be back in use and up for sale this fall/winter if the nickname fiasco is not resolved by then or unless some sort of court injunction against the NC00 is entered.

I have a hard time seeing both characters having the same face. The one in the foreground appeared to me to have a narrower face, and as a result I never considered the fact that it might represent the same person. If they are intended to be the same face, that adds a whole different perspective and meaning to the scene than two different individuals.