SiouxSports.com Forum

Semi - University of North Dakota vs. Boston College photos

mwade

That's the pic.

*sobs*

THERE'S NO CRYING IN HOCKEY, HOCKEYMOM!

Clearly my subconscious has some issues as it seems bound and determined to make sure I BADLY miscaption a Sioux photo every single freaking time. Let's see, just this season we had Taylor Chorney correctly identified in the USCHO U-20 pictorial, but either headed to a different school or drafted by a different team (I think the school), then the image of Smaby being tossed by Boyle and having his full nameplate visible being accompanied by a "Zajac" caption. Yeah, the Stafford/Prpich thing wasn't good, but atleast it wasn't like I mixed up Brian Lee with one of them :-). Now this.

Maybe when I get shots from the Minnesota series (December?) online, it can be a game - who can spot Melissa's mistake first . That will be a while though as it's priority has dropped a bit since I can't sell prints of players wearing the Sioux uniform.

That will be a while though as it's priority has dropped a bit since I can't sell prints of players wearing the Sioux uniform.

Can you elaborate on this problem? How is it that at least some Hockey East schools allow photographers to sell photos of their teams but UND won't? What's the issue?

I don't mean to complain about it here. The NCAA is fine with print sales for personal usage, not for something like a bar that might hang a bunch of pictures and give the impression of some sort of endorsement by the student-athletes (the NCAA assumes that the public is extremely gullible and well, a lot of people are so can't blame them).

However, the student-athlete is wearing the school sweater and the school has full control over their logo (logo is probably not the right word, but you know what I mean) and therefore has the right to say yes or no. It's not really an East - West thing. I've had some schools completely neutral, they say sure and that's it; others (and naturally I never choose games where the opponent feels the same and don't like their buildings) that are very enthusiastic as they see it as a positive and others who say no. UND happens to be one of the "no"s.

I may not particularly like it, but I have no desire to get into an adversarial relationship with Media Relations which was given decision-making responsibility in this case. BTW, I do not decide which games to shoot based on this. I'm BC-heavy, because that's "my team" :-) (plus if you think I have talent at screwing up UND captions, you should see how good I am at getting lost. Conte is one of the few rinks I don't have issues with - I didn't have an issue with finding the Ralph just with getting unknowingly stuck with a rear-wheel drive rental and experiencing my first spinout on the ice). I actually don't check with a team until after I've shot the game as, in my mind - not necessarily others, to do otherwise might falsely give the impression that I'm shooting for sales, not game coverage which naturally is the reason I'm there and given credentials. All the extra solo shots are because I try to upload atleast one solo per player for each team for USCHO's use with features or game stories that aren't being covered by a photographer. I'm actually mental enough that when I get a decent order for a prints featuring a particular player I tend to not take as many of him the next game as I worry that it will look like I am either favoring him or trying to get more $s out of that customer.

I'll get the images online eventually both for fan enjoyment and for editorial usage. I'm just so far behind at this point that after dealing with post-season photos, I'm going to prioritize those where both teams have provided an okay first. That's all.