SiouxSports.com Forum

NDSU/SDSU moving forward on Big Sky

WYOBISONMAN

This were some thoughts I posted on another board, but it is pretty applicable to the discussion here:

Here is the way I see the BSC expansion vote Stacking up:

Voting to expand:

Montana State

Montana

Weber State

Idaho

Voting against Expansion:

Sac State

Northern Arizona

Portland State (maybe)

Unknown how they will vote:

Eastern Washington

That is my guess based on what I have read and a couple things that I have seen on the Salt Lake City TV news. Where I am at in Wyoming we get the SLC stations as out local stations on cable. I hope I am wrong about Portland State and that Eastern Washington votes our way as well. If it were just NAU and Sac State against us, our chances of admission would be much better. If we don't get into the BSC I am very worried about the quality of any other conference choices. The BSC is really the prize.

Hahahaha! What could Coach G possibly say that would seriously help or hurt NDSU's chances of getting into the Big Sky?

Are they going to ask Coach G. about the travel?

Are they going to ask Coach G. whether adding two state flaghsip schools to the Big Sky will help them or hurt them?

Are they going to ask Coach G. if NDSU's twenty national championships in six diffferent sports were a fluke?

Are they going to ask Coach G. if NDSU's football program is really the greatest in DII history?

I actually think that Coach Giaccoletti will have positive input on NDSU and SDSU entering the conference. He has an inside look at the programs and can attest to thier quality. Obviously the BSC is interested in having high quality members. I think that a problem with the growth in the NCC in the recent past was schools that were not up to the levels of NDSU and UND have been admitted to the conference. I am sure the BSC wants schools that will enhance the conference rather that pull it down.

In regard to Wyoming Bison Man's comments as to schools being admitted being not up to standards, I would like to point out that MN. State, St. Cloud State, and UNO all have larger enrollments than NDSU, North Dakota, or SDSU. All three also have division I hockey programs, two of them in the WCHA. Arguably, a main reason that none have consistently dominated in football (except UNO recently) is that all three are located close to a large division I school. In Minnesota, the U of M has a huge advantage in funding and fan support, largely because they are located in the state's metropolis, where the state capital also resides. Unfortunately, fan and financial support for the football and basketball programs for the Mn. schools have been lacking in general since the early 80's, when MSU was re-admitted and St. Cloud entered. However, more consistent success by either school could possibly influence a future move up to Division I by one or both of the Mn. colleges. It is true, of course, that NDSU and SDSU have great fan/alumni support, which is absolutely necessary when considering a move upward.

St. Cloud owned the league last year except for an OT loss at UNC. St. Cloud is also making a statement in BB. They cant hope to move up until they do something with that football stadium and then I really dont think they have the community or alumni support to do it. But, if they keep winning their two minor sports, BB and football, they might just start to draw more than flys. Its all hockey at SCSU (if anything at all besides partying) and I dont think thats changing even if they build the new 6,000 seat football arena. They might have the coaching and the players right now, but they dont have any idea how to run a football program outside of the locker room. Anybody with a business in St. Cloud could probably buy that program if they would just step up with a little support.

I would like to point out that MN. State, St. Cloud State, and UNO all have larger enrollments than NDSU, North Dakota, or SDSU. All three also have division I hockey programs, two of them in the WCHA. Arguably, a main reason that none have consistently dominated in football (except UNO recently) is that all three are located close to a large division I school.

I"ll let Northern Colorado know they shouldn't dominate in football. After all, with Colorado State 30 miles away and the CU Buffs about 50 miles down the road, they should maybe pack it in. Thanks! :)

There is starting to be a pretty good thread on the expansion of the Big Sky conference on egriz.com (a web site created by a University of Montana fan). Here is a link to their board:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/index.php

Most of the discussion is taking place under the Football heading. There is a lot of bashing of the entire state of North Dakota going on. I figured some of you UND guys might want to give the people from Missoula a little hell. (There is also a joke thread under "Other s&%t" and that seems to be a good place for some Montana Jokes). :)