SiouxSports.com Forum

Zach Jones

siouxnami

When asked about his brother's playing style Matt Jones said something like "he play's with more of an edge." What an understatement. :D This guy has a mean streak that just doesn't stop. :D As he gets stronger he is going to be a feared D-man.

I thought he played well at the final five, but after watching the games again, I thought he was great. He made a number of plays that were not flashy, but very effective, like simple taking out a body at the blue line. And when he goes into a corner, somebody is going to take a few shots. :ohmy: He takes some penalties, but many are good penalties, such as holding or hooking to stop a scoring chance. He did get caught up, which led to SCCC's second goal. But this was pretty unlucky I think.

If I remember correctly, he is still draft eligible this year, and I expect that he will be taken. I'm glad we have him.

When asked about his brother's playing style Matt Jones said something like "he play's with more of an edge." What an understatement. :D This guy has a mean streak that just doesn't stop. :D As he gets stronger he is going to be a feared D-man.

I thought he played well at the final five, but after watching the games again, I thought he was great. He made a number of plays that were not flashy, but very effective, like simple taking out a body at the blue line. And when he goes into a corner, somebody is going to take a few shots. :ohmy: He takes some penalties, but many are good penalties, such as holding or hooking to stop a scoring chance. He did get caught up, which led to SCCC's second goal. But this was pretty unlucky I think.

If I remember correctly, he is still draft eligible this year, and I expect that he will be taken. I'm glad we have him.

I share your opinion. ZJo is a real battler against the boards.

I posted this after my first live viewing of Jones in a game:

"Jones, in the major PK, was just roughing someone up all the way from dot to the corner. It was beautiful."

But I posted it on 2/12/02 at 4:25 p.m., and it was after my first viewing of Matt. It was a deja vu moment for me last weekend seeing Zach beat someone up in the corner, just working him over, because it was just what Matt had done as a freshman. Zach was right on the edge of a cross-checking or roughing call, though, and with more girlish refs this weekend that kind of brutality will be called, I fear.

Anyway, the younger Jones is going to be the foundation of the team by the time he's done, much as Matt was.

zach has done nothing but up his draft stock by the way he is playing this year. if he can combine his EDGE with similar skills of his brother then we are in for a hell of a d man for the years to come. he is a fun player to watch and he can snap like i have never seen. i love it as long as he knows when to snap and when not to :D

another note....matt was interviewed between periods in chicago and talked about the sioux and his brother playing. he mentioned he watched the game vs st cloud in chicago and was pretty excited for the sioux and zach. i guess he has 1 more brother that plays in illinois. i know hes younger but not sure how young. keep them coming!!!

Matt was a great defensemen and if I could get a chance I'd thank him. I don't know what for, but I would. But I would most definately thank him for picking on his little brother as a kid, cause ZJo does not take any crap from anyone. Thanks Matt!!

I am really surprised that Zach is only fifth on the team in penalty minutes (32 for 83 mins)? I have never seen anyone go into the corner with both arms swinging, constantly banging on the opponent, the way ZJones does. He reminds me of one of the droids in that old plastic game "Rock'em Sock'em Robots" punching away.

f07753dt0ss.jpg

A lot of opinions that match mine but some points I took from watching him play:

1. He plays with emotion. A lot more emotion than Matt did, IMO.

2. He's solid defensively, just like Matt

3. He's not flashy. Sometimes Matt could be flashy. I didn't see that from Zach. He's a lunch pail guy who simply goes out on the ice and gets the job done with sheer grit, emotion, and athleticism.

4. He's quiet on the ice, only getting noticed when he lays someone out or gets called for laying someone out :D

5. He's a solid defensive defenseman who will never really put up any offensive numbers with the Sioux.

6. He's one of the players I'm going to watch in two years. As a junior, Zach could follow Matt in wearing a letter.

7. Optimistic addition: I think he'll get drafted as an overager in this year's NHL Draft somewhere between the 5th and 7th round.

I am really surprised that Zach is only fifth on the team in penalty minutes (32 for 83 mins)? I have never seen anyone go into the corner with both arms swinging, constantly banging on the opponent, the way ZJones does. He reminds me of one of the droids in that old plastic game "Rock'em Sock'em Robots" punching away.

f07753dt0ss.jpg

I love that pic!!!!!!

A lot of opinions that match mine but some points I took from watching him play:

1. He plays with emotion. A lot more emotion than Matt did, IMO.

2. He's solid defensively, just like Matt

3. He's not flashy. Sometimes Matt could be flashy. I didn't see that from Zach. He's a lunch pail guy who simply goes out on the ice and gets the job done with sheer grit, emotion, and athleticism.

4. He's quiet on the ice, only getting noticed when he lays someone out or gets called for laying someone out :ohmy:

5. He's a solid defensive defenseman who will never really put up any offensive numbers with the Sioux.

6. He's one of the players I'm going to watch in two years. As a junior, Zach could follow Matt in wearing a letter.

7. Optimistic addition: I think he'll get drafted as an overager in this year's NHL Draft somewhere between the 5th and 7th round.

I hate to post anything negative on this site but I am guessing that he will not get drafted. I love the kids enthusiasm for the game but he is a very raw defencemen at this point in time. He does not have a very good feel for reading the forecheck pressure and seems to get caught going the wrong way on several occassions. That is one of the reasons why he rims the puck more than the other D. Over time I expect that he will turn out to be a good college defensemen but Brad Barry has a lot to cover with this kid with respect to where and when to go on the ice with and without the puck.

I hate to post anything negative on this site but I am guessing that he will not get drafted. I love the kids enthusiasm for the game but he is a very raw defencemen at this point in time. He does not have a very good feel for reading the forecheck pressure and seems to get caught going the wrong way on several occassions. That is one of the reasons why he rims the puck more than the other D. Over time I expect that he will turn out to be a good college defensemen but Brad Barry has a lot to cover with this kid with respect to where and when to go on the ice with and without the puck.

he will be drafted in the upcoming draft for sure...

One thing I have noticed a few times with Zach, though he has not capitalized yet, he is very good at reading a scoring chance in the zone and doesnt hesistate to crash the net for a pass. Seen it a couple times, and it is very heads up for a defensemen to be able to do that.