SiouxSports.com Forum

Freshman Review (regular season)

roper1313

Kozek is finally starting to catch up with the DI level whereas Watkins seems to be struggling a bit in the offensive zone. The one thing I like about Kozek is that he has a vicious attitude towards physical play. And he'll take on anyone right now! He's starting to rush the net and darned if that's not going to help him offensively.

I think Kozek would have been more noticed this year with more ice time. I'm not blaming Hak at all for that. It's probably more due to the number of penalties the Sioux have taken, as well as the close games they've been in, which had a direct effect on Kozek's ice time. I've like this kid since the beginning of the season, and I know Dagies has noticed him more than once as well. It will be exciting to see what he can do if he gets moved to 3rd line, or is given a greater amount of ice time. I think he'll contribute a lot more in the near future.

I think Kozek would have been more noticed this year with more ice time. I'm not blaming Hak at all for that. It's probably more due to the number of penalties the Sioux have taken, as well as the close games they've been in, which had a direct effect on Kozek's ice time. I've like this kid since the beginning of the season, and I know Dagies has noticed him more than once as well. It will be exciting to see what he can do if he gets moved to 3rd line, or is given a greater amount of ice time. I think he'll contribute a lot more in the near future.

I'm predicting Kozek will be on one of the top 2 lines next year.

I factored that in.

Stafford and Smaby will be gone. I know as fans we can always hope because if you add those two along with pretty much everyone else back we would have the potential to be a powerhouse next year. One slight problem however. Unfortunately, I highly doubt either player will be in a Sioux uniform and that will leave two huge holes for next year that will not be able to be filled with the recruits we have coming in. I do not see a real blue chipper in next year's class like an Oshie or Toews. I think the guys we have coming in next year will be slower to develop.

Stafford and Smaby will be gone. I know as fans we can always hope because if you add those two along with pretty much everyone else back we would have the potential to be a powerhouse next year. One slight problem however. Unfortunately, I highly doubt either player will be in a Sioux uniform and that will leave two huge holes for next year that will not be able to be filled with the recruits we have coming in. I do not see a real blue chipper in next year's class like an Oshie or Toews. I think the guys we have coming in next year will be slower to develop.

You need to look harder...

Forney??? (Possible 1st round NHL Draft Pick)

Vandevelde??? (NHL Draft Pick)

Smaby should go pro, he is just too good for this level. I would love to see him come back for another championship run. Stafford, I'm not so sure about. I think that he can continue to grow with 1 more year at UND. Keep in mind that he is 19 or 20.

You need to look harder...

Forney??? (Possible 1st round NHL Draft Pick)

Vandevelde??? (NHL Draft Pick)

Smaby should go pro, he is just too good for this level. I would love to see him come back for another championship run. Stafford, I'm not so sure about. I think that he can continue to grow with 1 more year at UND. Keep in mind that he is 19 or 20.

I did not overlook either of those guys. I do not believe Forney will have the impact that Toews and Oshie have had. I think he will be slower to develop and will have a year somewhat like Blake Wheeler has had for the Goofs. VandeVelde has not exactly been tearing it up at Lincoln this year, so it is hard to project that he is going to have a major impact next year without some time to develop.

I agree with DAR. I think we have been very spoiled over the past few years with some freshmen that came in and knocked our socks off. Forney may be able to do that again, but a more cautious level of expectations for a kid coming in from high school seems more prudent to me. And VandeVelde may turn out to be very good, but he struggled to light up the USHL, like DAR said. It remains to be seen how quickly he'll adapt to the WCHA level.