SiouxSports.com Forum

Question: If brackets are set now, how does Final Five fit in?

01grad

I was just wondering which team would get the boot in the brackets for the NCAA tourney if a team from the WCHA, that isn't repsented already, wins the final five? I always thought that a team like Michigan Tech or Alaska Anchorage could get into the big dance if they win the final five. If this is still the case, then how do things work? And also if this is the case, why does everybody keep thinking the Sioux season is over if we aren't factored as one of the teams in power rankings, we still could have a chance right? Thanks for clearing this up for me, just was curious. I just always thought that a team who would win the final five was automatically in so everybody could still have a chance and the season isn't a loss already for some.

I was just wondering which team would get the boot in the brackets for the NCAA tourney if a team from the WCHA, that isn't repsented already, wins the final five? I always thought that a team like Michigan Tech or Alaska Anchorage could get into the big dance if they win the final five. If this is still the case, then how do things work? And also if this is the case, why does everybody keep thinking the Sioux season is over if we aren't factored as one of the teams in power rankings, we still could have a chance right? Thanks for clearing this up for me, just was curious. I just always thought that a team who would win the final five was automatically in so everybody could still have a chance and the season isn't a loss already for some.

have no idea who would be bumped if a non ncaa team wo the final 5 nd got the auto bid, on the other hand that wont happen. as of last week the sioux would have been out of the tourney, as of today they are in, now tomorrow moring will be different depending if we win or lose....to many games left to know exactly...

there is a thread going right now on the pairwise as we sit #11 right now which is a 3 seed

http://siouxsports.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5566

That's why I was wondering because with all of the media and technology we have these days, this thing is updated so quickly and I just was curious as to which team and fans would be most upset to think they were in until the unthinkable happened and possibly may have never happend as of yet.

Alright, let me take a crack at this....

First of all, the brackets are *not* set. The articles on this and other sites are speculative, and only include games played up until this point. While a few teams are mathematically assured of a berth in the NCAA's, all of the regional seedings and matchups you see are "if the season ended today", which we know it doesn't.

That being said, here is the process....

Each of the six leagues sends its postseason tournament winner to the NCAAs. In some leagues, not all teams make the postseason tournament, but in the WCHA, all 10 teams have a shot. The Final Five are the five teams that win their first round matchups (#1 vs. #10, #2 vs #9, etc.). Teams are reseeded, and #4 plays #5 on Thursday of the Final Five, with the winner advancing to one of two semifinals, and you get the rest of that.

In the two so-called "weak sister" conferences, Atlantic Hockey and College Hockey America, we expect only the playoff winner (i.e. no at-large berths) to make the NCAAs, as only Holy Cross (Atlantic Hockey) is even a team under consideration in the PairWise (currently 26th). So we really only look at the top 14 teams in the PairWise, because two spots are taken by these two conferences.

Normally, teams in the top 14 will win the postseason tournaments, because they are the best teams. So, for example, in the WCHA, if Wisconsin (#1 right now), Minnesota (#2), Colorado College (#6), or UND (#10 after last night's win) win the Final Five, these teams are not costing anyone a spot because they would make the tournament anyway. But if Minnesota-State Mankato were to win the thing, then you only look at the top 13 teams, because they have essentially taken an at-large berth away from someone else. We won't really know who the bubble teams are until the weekend of the postseason championships, but those numbers 12-15 will be watching very carefully. The other thing to consider is that the results of those games (even the third-place games) can change the comparison wins and result in one team jumping over another in the PairWise.

All of these PairWise rankings are subject to change, of course, so don't read too much into someone saying that Minnesota is going to dress in UND's locker room in the West Regional. It's the first week of February, after all.

Hope this helps.

Sioux18

Thanks that really helps out. I realize that everything now is just speculation, but I just needed a little more clarification about the process. So if Tech or one of the lower teams in the WCHA happend to win the final five, would they replace the lower WCHA team in the NCAA brackets or just the lowest ranked team overall? As you said, I don't think this would happen either, as it probably never has, but I was just curious anyway.

I also think that a few of these things will shake out in the next 4 weeks.

It will be interesting to see if C.C. stays in the 6th place and if SCSU keeps winning

relying solely on goaltending, after their top line they really don't have much. How much longer will they be able to run the hooking and holding and not get called for it...

Mankato has done a good job beating up on crappy teams but I don't see them making much noise at the end of the season. I also think UND exposed them when they were here a couple of weeks ago.

Wisconsin looks like a good team to play right now minus their top goaltender.

UMD is really reeling after losing about 6 in a row. The time is now to just win against who ever

your playing against. I think UND can do some damage in Denver if they just score first, I don't think The Pioneers are as deep as they were in years past. Settling a score with Punkovich might not be a priority when the teams meet in Feb. If they decide to do it get it over with so they can concentrate on winning the series and getting in the playoffs.

So if Tech or one of the lower teams in the WCHA happend to win the final five, would they replace the lower WCHA team in the NCAA brackets or just the lowest ranked team overall?

The lowest ranked team overall*. There's no limit on the number of teams one conference can send to the tournament.

Sioux18

*We could have a discussion about how the committee doesn't use the PairWise rankings in exactly the same way that we see them listed, although for the purposes of this discussion, the second choice you gave was the correct one.