SiouxSports.com Forum

Article mentioning Drew Stafford

redwing77

Story on Sabres NCAA Prospects. It mentions Drew Stafford right away.

It also mentions that the Sabres may attempt to sign him after this season to place him in Rochester. Not all that surprising to me.

A good showing this season had led to speculation that the Sabres might be inclined to pluck him from the collegiate ranks when the season ends for the Sioux, placing him in Rochester (AHL) to get his skates wet as a professional.

Nooooooooo...........

A real catch 22 isn't it. If he leads the Sioux to the Frozen Four the way he is capable of doing he is gone for sure. If he doesn't produce the way he should the rest of the season he could be left here. I would rather see the former wouldn't you. :lol:

With Stafford already owning two WJC appearances (one gold medal and the other the Team USA MVP), an NC appearance, and thus far being 4th in the nation in goal scoring, I'm not sure Stafford could tail off?

I don't think he's had a better year for goal scoring as a Sioux.

Only Smaby is a bigger flight risk post season than Stafford.

In today's Herald is a story on Stafford. I didn't link it here but you can find it on the front page of SS. I was shocked to find out that Drew is younger than 4 of our freshmen this year, and younger than our whole sophomore class. I think that bears remembering, when we expect so much from him. It's true that he's got more playing experience at this level, but in physical and mental maturity, he's right with the younger ones on the team.

In today's Herald is a story on Stafford. I didn't link it here but you can find it on the front page of SS. I was shocked to find out that Drew is younger than 4 of our freshmen this year, and younger than our whole sophomore class. I think that bears remembering, when we expect so much from him. It's true that he's got more playing experience at this level, but in physical and mental maturity, he's right with the younger ones on the team.

Wow! I didn't know he came in at 17. He should have held a press conference. :bigsmile:

Wow! I didn't know he came in at 17. He should have held a press conference. :bigsmile:

In a way he did: October 17, 2003; freshman; first official game; 13 days short of his 18th birthday; BC/UND; #1 and #2 in the country; nationally televised game.

Third period, game tied, he beats a BC d-man on the outside before sliding a harmless looking puck past Kaltiainen for the game winning goal in a 6-4 UND victory.

I think he made a fairly strong statement that night. Some people just don't need a microphone in their face to say what they gotta say! ;)