SiouxSports.com Forum

New Jersey / Dakotas Conference A Reality

JESUS,family,rutgers

From the strange world of Division 1 sports---here comes the United Basketball Conference. The members of the league include the New Jersey Institute of Technology, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Indiana-Purdue at Fort Wayne, Texas-Pan American, and Utah Valley State. Each college will play a home and home series with each other. The travel bills and small crowds make this a nutty idea. NJIT is a small urban college with a small gym and few dorms. A few years ago, the state of New Jersey was considering closing the school and merging the campus into the Rutgers-Newark campus. I don't have any idea what the administration is thinking there unless they think they can improve the program when the New Jersey Devils open the new Newark Arena in a few years. Hard to imagine these schools can keep this alliance going over the long term. Here in New Jersey, we already have seven Division 1 schools--Rutgers, Seton Hall, Princeton, Monmouth, Fairleigh Dickinson, Saint Peter's, and Rider. Only Rutgers and Seton Hall average over 5,000 for basketball.

From the strange world of Division 1 sports---here comes the United Basketball Conference. The members of the league include the New Jersey Institute of Technology, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Indiana-Purdue at Fort Wayne, Texas-Pan American, and Utah Valley State. Each college will play a home and home series with each other. The travel bills and small crowds make this a nutty idea.

The NDSU bison fans seem to think this is a great option for them! :huh:

The NDSU bison fans seem to think this is a great option for them! :huh:

Really? Actually, Jfr, this is a conference in name only. It is more of a scheduling alliance. Games in Jan. and Feb. are hard to get for an independent because most teams are going through their conference, so this is simply a marriage of convenience. It will slowly dissolve as these teams get accepted into established conferences.

Really? Actually, Jfr, this is a conference in name only. It is more of a scheduling alliance. Games in Jan. and Feb. are hard to get for an independent because most teams are going through their conference, so this is simply a marriage of convenience. It will slowly dissolve as these teams get accepted into established conferences.

I concure. This is a marriage for scheduling purposes only. Much as the Great West is. It gives them something to shoot for, but what is the real result of that. No bid to the Tourney, the source of revenue to the big money. :lol:

I concure. This is a marriage for scheduling purposes only. Much as the Great West is. It gives them something to shoot for, but what is the real result of that. No bid to the Tourney, the source of revenue to the big money. :D

We meet again. You are right and you are wrong. You are correct in the fact that the United Basketball Conference isn't really a conference. It is just a scheduling alliance to make things easier on the participating teams. You are wrong about the Great West, though. Although eventually the teams will probably get into bigger and better conferences, it is an actual, recognized conference (and one that isn't too shabby, if I do say so myself).

Oh yeah, and I garfunkled your mother.

Sorry..can't resist - the theme from Rawhide is a SERIOUS F*ckin earworm ;)

trollin..trollin..trollin!

SU fans keep TROLLIN!

(perhaps they have a...) RAWHIDE!! ;)

Don't try to understand 'em...

Just laugh and tork and flame 'em...

Soon they'll return to BISONVILLE! :D

TONY he done banned me...

BUT I won't stand by...

While his tools invade our SIOUX BOARD!!!

head 'em up - MOVE 'EM OUT!

MOVE 'EM OUT - slap 'em up...

di is a REAL LAME DEAL!!!!

RAWHIDE!!!! :D:D