SiouxSports.com Forum

Wisconsin/ U-18 game...

WiSioux

The next time, if there is a next time, University of Wisconsin men's hockey coach Mike Eaves will not make the same scheduling mistake.

The looming holiday break means final semester exams. Eaves had individual meetings with his players this week and came away "amazed" at the academic workloads they were carrying. One veteran, senior winger Nick Licari, didn't play this night due to a high volume of schoolwork.

"I don't know that I'd ever do this again in terms of scheduling," Eaves said of the exhibition, played before an announced crowd of 11,733. "One of the last things on their mind was playing hockey."

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ind...d=65539&ntpid=3

We played the Gophers right before our finals week... does that mean we can use finals as an excuse too?!? They seriously almost lost to high schools... maybe they aren't as high and mighty as everyone seems to think they are.

And sorry... I realize this isn't all that Sioux related.

I'm happy to read that some athleles (even WiBads) care about their education. Not everyone makes the NHL. AND I'm extemely proud of the UND Fighting Sioux athletes who consistently excel in academics as well in sport.

(there WiSioux, it's officially a Sioux topic)

not to be COMPLETELY cynical, but you think this might be more of an excuse than anything? So and so isn't playing to night because of coursework, yah, rriiiIIiiiight, more like it was a bunch of 18 and younger kids so coach played a bunch of the low guys and is making excuses...sadly, I don't think many college atheletes REALLY care THAT much about their grades as long as they can keep playing...

WPoS

Well Slappy, the big deal for me was the 'amazement' that the Coach voiced when he learned that his players actually had college courses which required studying and finals.

He's not coaching in the NHL, he's a college coach.

Edited by Sioux-cia

Well Slappy, the big deal for me was the 'amazement' that the Coach voiced when he learned that his players actually had college courses which required studying and finals.

Slappy? Where'd you go? I must be psychic. I know you were asking 'what's the big deal, etc'. Cool, now I can go on cable.

not to be COMPLETELY cynical, but you think this might be more of an excuse than anything? So and so isn't playing to night because of coursework, yah, rriiiIIiiiight, more like it was a bunch of 18 and younger kids so coach played a bunch of the low guys and is making excuses...sadly, I don't think many college atheletes REALLY care THAT much about their grades as long as they can keep playing...

WPoS

Maybe he was in danger of becoming academically ineligible?

I don't think he said that he was surprised that they had college courses, but rather the amount of time required to study this time of year. Of course if you can't beat them (on the ice that is)....