SiouxSports.com Forum

The Big Sky Up & Out List

IowaBison

Just a couple of thoughts that I've put together

Up (Those Interested)

NDSU (geography)

SDSU (geography)

SUU (academics, geography)

UVSU (in transition, academics, relatively large market)

UND (DII, geography)

USD (DII, geography, BROKE)

UNO (DII, UNL, geography, relatively large market)

Out (Those who might leave)

Sac State (Big West, WAC)

Portland State (WAC-should have joined the Big West, not the Big Sky in the 90's)

NAU? (don't think that is too credible, where are they gonna go?)

Not Interested

Davis (Happy with Big West)

Poly (Happy with Big West)

Denver (Sun Belt is 'better')

Conjecture is fun, but the President's get to vote for admission or can decide to leave. I do see change ahead in the next 2-3 years as 9 teams doesn't work.

Given comments by Fullerton and certain President's the 12 team idea isn't going to happen unless there is a major shakeup.

Up (Those Interested)

NDSU (geography)

SDSU (geography)

SUU (academics, geography)

UVSU (in transition, academics, relatively large market)

UND (DII, geography)

USD (DII, geography, BROKE)

UNO (DII, UNL, geography, relatively large market)

Portland State (WAC-should have joined the Big West, not the Big Sky in the 90's)

NAU? (don't think that is too credible, where are they gonna go?)

Not Interested

Davis (Happy with Big West)

Poly (Happy with Big West)

Denver (Sun Belt is 'better')

Conjecture is fun, but the President's get to vote for admission or can decide to leave. I do see change ahead in the next 2-3 years as 9 teams doesn't work.

Given comments by Fullerton and certain President's the 12 team idea isn't going to happen unless there is a major shakeup.

I need a legend...

Are comments in parentheses positive/negative/both. I can figure out "BROKE" as being a negative...but do you see "geography" as a plus or minus?

Under UNO...what is UNL?

Is UVSU...Utah Valley State?

Is academics a plus or negative? I assume that if it were a positive you would have listed it under NDSU and of course UND...are you saying that SUU and UVSU are a bunch of dummies? :silly:

I was hoping you could decipher those, SiouxMD.

geography is a negative

UNL-University of Nebraska-Lincoln

UVSU is Utah Valley State

the Big Sky has voiced concerns about SUU's academics (which with geography are the big determinants of membership) and UVSU is in transition from a junior college to DI.

UND/NDSU/SDSU get props in my book for being outstanding research and teaching institutions, but to the Big Sky much of our quality is just gravy when looking at academics.

After doing a little checking, I've determined that there is no way that UNO is going to the Big Sky as they only offer 2 (football, basketball) of the required 7 sports (track, cross country, indoor track, golf, tennis).

Another issue that should be put in context is commitment to athletic quality and the case of UNC.

First off, I like the Bears a lot and I wish them the best in the Big Sky regardless of where we end up. However, they currently provide only 42 football scholarships and per Kay Dalton's comments last night, it doesn't sound like they are in any hurry to get to the league requirement of 63. Also, the Vikings of Portland State also have no plans to add tennis which is also required by the league.

This says something about the Big Sky.

Another issue that should be put in context is commitment to athletic quality and the case of UNC.

First off, I like the Bears a lot and I wish them the best in the Big Sky regardless of where we end up. However, they currently provide only 42 football scholarships and per Kay Dalton's comments last night, it doesn't sound like they are in any hurry to get to the league requirement of 63. Also, the Vikings of Portland State also have no plans to add tennis which is also required by the league.

This says something about the Big Sky.

I've always felt that aside from location, UNC had absolutely no business going dI. Their men's basketball program is a joke--terrible team, terrible facility and terrible fan support. They would also appear to be somewhat strapped for cash, with a 2004 budget of just $4.3 million. Even football, their bread and butter sport, has historically had trouble sustaining success over long periods of time. They're evidently desperate for football wins, since after playing an all I-AA schedule in 2004, they've played two RMAC teams this year. Not coincidentally, those two games count for two of their three wins on the year.

I was hoping you could decipher those, SiouxMD.

My bad... :silly:

Per a previous post...

(IowaBison @ Nov 2 2005, 12:41 PM)

I think your sentiment about NDSU/UND being a BSC package deal is absolutely ludicrous.

The major (only?) hindrance to NDSU finding a conference is its location. If a travel partner is needed, the Bison have one in SDSU. I have no idea what UND brings to the table other than the currently comatose rivalry.

The BSC has repeated its criteria for expansion regularly over the last few years: geography and academic quality. It's huge unstated standard is presence in a large markets (Northridge, Portland State, UNC, Sac-State). Concerns regarding athletic competiveness, commitment to gender-equity and student-athletes have also been voiced.

I don't see for a second how UND trumps SDSU in any of these categories, though some are definitely arguable. Given the fact that SDSU is currently DI definitely gives them a leg up.

...it seems obvious that you believe NDSU can get into the BSC without UND. Where is GCWaters? :D

A few questions...

Are you for or against UND going DI-AA (football) regardless of conference affiliation? (Had to ask...)

Do you truly believe SDSU is a better travel partner considering it is 190 miles (Mapquest) from Fargo versus Grand Forks?

If UND does not play into NDSU getting into the BSC...how do the Bison convince the BSC to extend an invitation?

If NDSU does not get into the BSC do you see them staying in the GWFC or seeking a different conference?

1. I don't think NDSU is going to get into the Big Sky, barring a big shakeup.

2. I don't think UND has any effect on NDSU's conference dealings.

3. I am for UND going DI, though I don't think it is necessarily in their best interests to do so.

4. I don't (strongly) care who our travel partner is, I think that the SDSU/NDSU pair is better than the NDSU/UND one for reasons on another thread.

5. NDSU does nothing to convince the Big Sky to let us in. They know who we are and where we are at. The change will come from within the conference not from without.

6. I don't see the Bison leaving the GWFC, who's going to take them. If the Gateway had a spot, I'm sure NDSU would jump at it (autobid, quality teams, relationship with the MVC).

Up (Those Interested)

NDSU (geography, basketball facilities)

SDSU (geography)

SUU (academics, geography, limited market and fan base)

UVSU (in transition, academics, relatively large market, in same media market as Weber, no football)

UND (DII, geography, share media market) but +REA, +satellite capability, +DI credentials

USD (DII, geography, BROKE, Vermillion)

UNO (DII, UNL, geography, relatively large market, more naturally in the MidCon/Gateway)

WWU (DII, low scholarships) but +great demographics, +TV market (Seattle/Bellingham)

CWU (DII, low scholarships, travel)

Western St (DII, very low schlolarship, facilities) but +Grand Junction offers reasonable base

NAU? (don't think that is too credible, where are they gonna go? [WAC])

Not Interested

Davis (Happy with Big West, would be short-timer as will be in IA WAC)

Poly (Happy with Big West, geography, IA inclinations)

Denver (waiting for 'better' deal - MVC, WCC, or WAC)