SiouxSports.com Forum

My two cents...

SiouxMD

Greetings,

I am a North Dakotan, living in Minnesota, and a graduate of the University of North Dakota. I attended UND from 1990 to 2001 (yes, eleven years) and to this day am a strong supporter of the school and the "Fighting Sioux" nickname. Recent developments regarding the NCAA rejection of UND's appeal are disheartening but not for the obvious reasons...

I would prefer that the University of North Dakota remain the "Fighting Sioux" AND that we be supported by those represented by the current namesake. It would seem that both are in jeopardy...

Those who support the current nickname often state the opposition is led by a "vocal minority". Implying, the majority of the Sioux Nation supports the current nickname or is at least not offended by it.

What I find disheartening is, if this is true, why don't they speak up and defend their view?

As I see it, there are two possible explanations:

1) The "vocal minority" is a "vocal majority".

2) The non-vocal majority feels the current debate is not worth voicing their opinion.

Neither are encouraging to those wanting to retain the "Fighting Sioux" nickname. If some, most, or all of the Sioux Nation is offended by the nickname and the rest (if any) simply don't care...the outcome is fixed and only a matter of time before the UND "Fighting Sioux" become someone or something else.

It would be far easier for me to understand the NCAA ruling it it was all or none. But it wasn't...some collegiate Native American nicknames were not considered "hostile and abusive" (Utes and Seminoles) while others were...the "Fighting Sioux". It has cast a shadow on our institution and the state of North Dakota and it bothers me...

Have I lost the will to fight? No. But, I no longer wish to fight against the people the nickname is supposed to honor when they are unwilling to fight for it themselves. As a vocal member on this forum often states..."We don't want your honor." So be it. In the end the name will be changed...no more will the stadium echo with "and the home of the SIOUX!"

It is obvious that cultural differences are present on both sides of the issue with each unable or unwilling to view the current situation from the others perspective. Keep in mind, when this issue is finally resolved we must still live, work, learn and interact with each other. Comments made today by both sides will be remembered...good and bad.

On a side note, having a military background I would certainly enjoy the "Fighting Cavalry" as suggested by some but I believe it would be misconstrued as an attempt to get back at those opposing the "Fighting Sioux" nickname. Might I suggest the UND Tundra when the time comes. It would allow us to retain the green (tundra in the summer) and white (tundra in the winter) colors, it is neutral, and representative of our geologic/geographic past.

I have spent my two cents...

Feel free to respond...I will not. Until a decision is final...I will remain SiouxMD. You can find me in the Sports Forums...

1)  The "vocal minority" is a "vocal majority".

2)  The non-vocal majority feels the current debate is not worth voicing their opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would add a third possibility to your list, which is based on my observations of the "vocal minority":

3) The non-vocal majority who are intimidated into silence by their "brethren" who promise retribution should their opinions be voiced.

The issue obviously is an emotional one, but I am struck by the militancy of those opposed to the present logo/nickname. Could it be the majority found by The Forum's polling is simply afraid to speak up?

Greetings,

I am a North Dakotan, living in Minnesota, and a graduate of the University of North Dakota.  I attended UND from 1990 to 2001 (yes, eleven years) and to this day am a strong supporter of the school and the "Fighting Sioux" nickname.  Recent developments regarding the NCAA rejection of UND's appeal are disheartening but not for the obvious reasons...

I would prefer that the University of North Dakota remain the "Fighting Sioux" AND that we be supported by those represented by the current namesake.  It would seem that both are in jeopardy...

Those who support the current nickname often state the opposition is led by a "vocal minority".  Implying, the majority of the Sioux Nation supports the current nickname or is at least not offended by it. 

What I find disheartening is, if this is true, why don't they speak up and defend their view? 

1)  The "vocal minority" is a "vocal majority".

2)  The non-vocal majority feels the current debate is not worth voicing their opinion.

Neither are encouraging to those wanting to retain the "Fighting Sioux" nickname.  If some, most, or all of the Sioux Nation is offended by the nickname and the rest (if any) simply don't care...the outcome is fixed and only a matter of time before the UND "Fighting Sioux" become someone or something else.

It would be far easier for me to understand the NCAA ruling it it was all or none.  But it wasn't...some collegiate Native American nicknames were not considered "hostile and abusive" (Utes and Seminoles) while others were...the "Fighting Sioux".  It has cast a shadow on our institution and the state of North Dakota and it bothers me...

Have I lost the will to fight? No.  But, I no longer wish to fight against the people the nickname is supposed to honor when they are unwilling to fight for it themselves.  As a vocal member on this forum often states..."We don't want your honor."  So be it.  In the end the name will be changed...no more will the stadium echo with "and the home of the SIOUX!"

It is obvious that cultural differences are present on both sides of the issue with each unable or unwilling to view the current situation from the others perspective.  Keep in mind, when this issue is finally resolved we must still live, work, learn and interact with each other.  Comments made today by both sides will be remembered...good and bad.

On a side note, having a military background I would certainly enjoy the "Fighting Calvary" as suggested by some but I believe it would be misconstrued as an attempt to get back at those opposing the "Fighting Sioux" nickname.  Might I suggest the UND Tundra when the time comes.  It would allow us to retain the green (tundra in the summer) and white (tundra in the winter) colors, it is neutral, and representative of our geologic/geographic past.

I have spent my two cents...

Feel free to respond...I will not.  Until a decision is final...I will remain SiouxMD.  You can find me in the Sports Forums...

hard to argue with much of what you said except for your nickname suggestion. Ugh! :blush:

Someone else mentioned it and it makes sense to me. Go without a nickname for an indefinite amount of time. At some point in the future people like me will be more willing to accept a new nickname.