SiouxSports.com Forum

Changes

wcbsas

I am a Marquette University Alum. I went to school during the days of Al McGuire and Hank Raymonds. In my day they had a mascot named Willie Wapum, a caricature similar to the Cleveland Indians mascot. They then changed the mascot to this non-descript thing called Big Blue - a blue cookie-monster like thing.

Then they presented an Indian mascot dressed in traditional garb who would perform realstic ceremonial dances. Then they after I graduated got all PC and changed the nickname from Warriors to Golden Eagles. The Milwaukee area was originally settled by Indians - the Kinnikinnic, Menomonie and LaFollette were among the many local tribes that were originally in this area.

The Warriors nickname has a legacy attributed to the Indian heritage of this region. A Golden Eagle has nothing to do with this school. I'm sure you've heard the recent laughable attempt to change the nickname co-inciding with Marquette's entry into the Bg East, first to The Gold then ultimately back to Golden Eagles.

There is a HUGE overwhelming desire to change it back to Warriors. It won't happen. I still remember and refer to this school as the Warriors. But ... It still is Marquette just as University of North Dakota is North Dakota.

Your school is not a nickname. Your school is the legacy of educated young adults, of NCAA hockey championships, of an aeronautical school, of -0- degree winter days and negative wind chill evenings. To you and those before you it will always be the Fighting Sioux, for those that follow it will be whatever it is ... I wish Marquette was still the Warriors and I wish ND could remain the Fighting Sioux.

In the scheme of things it is important but it isn't going to change who you are. If anything in my opinion it diminishes and minimalizes those that feel it should be changed.