SiouxSports.com Forum

Downtown Revitalization

Brent_Bobyck

This is kind of old but do you think if the city of Grand Forks were to allow developers build condos, to own and rent, it would help pump life back into the downtown area? This was discussed in the city council last summer but did not hear anything further on it.

The reason why I bring this up now is because I saw that another business closed downtown. Granted it was a used bookstore but still another business.

My personal opinion is that it would be a great idea. More people downtown equals more money. Look at what EGF has done with their boardwalk area. Why can't Grand Forks do the same?

Just a random Friday thought.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think that it would be great to get the downtown area into the bar area like it used to be. Whiteys, CooCoos, Edge, Babylon, then get a few more down there. It just sucks having to go from one bar to another without walking. If you could concentrate it in one area it would help.

That probably isn't what the city wants though.

As for the condos, I'm not sure that there really are more needed. With everything that is currently being built by the Betty and all those south of 32nd and on King's Walk there is quite a bit of housing out there already. I wouldn't mind living downtown though, be kind of cool.

This is kind of old but do you think if the city of Grand Forks were to allow developers build condos, to own and rent, it would help pump life back into the downtown area? This was discussed in the city council last summer but did not hear anything further on it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is going to start happening. The city council has been discussing it at their meetings for the last couple of months.

That probably isn't what the city wants though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You would think the city would want it. Almost any big city has a booming downtown area. Not saying GF is going to be the next Minneapolis, but city gov't would want a place where a lot of people can congregate, on the weekends especially, and have dinner, drinks, enjoy the nice summer months, etc. Look what happens when they have that Art Fair in downtown or the weekly markets. Brings tons of people. I think if GF invested some money into the downtown area, the people would follow. Bringing more money to business and to GF in general.

P.S. The going out to eat scene is brutal in GF because there is no atmosphere. Not talking the building itself, but everything around it. If anyone has been to Kansas City and been to the Plaza area, they will tell you how beautiful it is and how fun it is because there are tons of bars, restaraunts, and stores. Which produces tons of people. There is no reason why GF can't have a mini Plaza area.

What is your take PCM? Would this work, or will it work from the sounds of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anything that puts more people closer to downtown will help the downtown area. When I lived in Bismarck, one of the biggest boosts to what was then a struggling downtown was the restoration of the old Patterson Hotel, which was turned into apartments. Peacock Alley, a wonderful bar and restaurant, was built on the ground floor of the huge (by North Dakota standards) building. That project helped rejuvenate the vitality of downtown Bismarck.

I never agreed with the "if you build it, they will come" approach used in to restore downtown Grand Forks after the flood. Sure, it looks much nicer, but there are many empty buildings. If you give people a reason to be downtown (such as having residences nearby), then the businesses and nightlife will follow.

With this in mind, what would be some cool restraunts and bars to place downtown? What is GF missing?

I for one think that GF needs an authentic Italian restraunt. There is that small place on South Washington but it is not a sit down and enjoy wine place. (Food is very good though).

What do you think?

Yeah, it's easy to say that we need this and this and this and people would go there, but who wants to put money into it with pretty empty promises. The town really isn't growing too much and people haven't gone downtown in the past. It would be really hard for me to put my money into something down there.

If someone else will do it I'll be happy though.

My wish list for downtown:

2 more locally owned bars, one smaller and one larger

Movie theater

locally owned restaurants, not chains

Six Flags over the Red River (ok that's a stretch)

Yeah, it's easy to say that we need this and this and this and people would go there, but who wants to put money into it with pretty empty promises.  The town really isn't growing too much and people haven't gone downtown in the past.  It would be really hard for me to put my money into something down there. 

If someone else will do it I'll be happy though.

I am not saying putting money into it now. You are right.....huge risk now. I am saying if and when they put in these condos, there will be tons more people downtown just starving for something to do. That is when something would flourish downtown.

I would say the town is growing fast but in the south and west parts of town.

If the condos come, so will the business.

Wishlist

Jonesy's dugout!!!

Unique shopping, along with a places for entertainment would draw people downtown. Examples: The Forks in Winnipeg, Downtown Stillwater MN, and Red Wing MN. By unique shopping, I mean a mix of outlet type stores, antiques, specialty foods, books, toys, novelties, trendy clothing. A couple trendy places to eat, fine and casual dining. The Condo's will help by having a population base downtown. Bars with live music will attract people at night. Each of these places has an annual celebration based in downtown. These cities downtowns are full every weekend during the summer.

I think that the condominium development in downtown Grand Forks is a great idea.

Another thought, which I believe has been mentioned by Kupchella, is developing a downtown campus for UND (ala NDSU).

This would get young folks downtown for class, possibly to live, and move significant discretionary spending dollars down there are as well.

(if there is any value to it) It's too bad this wasn't thought up immediately following the flood with the big federal $$$ coming into town.

I'm not overly familiar with the University, but is there a department or program that would 'fit well' downtown?

I think that the condominium development in downtown Grand Forks is a great idea.

Another thought, which I believe has been mentioned by Kupchella, is developing a downtown campus for UND (ala NDSU). 

This would get young folks downtown for class, possibly to live, and move significant discretionary spending dollars down there are as well.

(if there is any value to it) It's too bad this wasn't thought up immediately following the flood with the big federal $$$ coming into town.

I'm not overly familiar with the University, but is there a department or program that would 'fit well' downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that the UND administration came out saying that they actually had NOT considered opening a downtown campus? I'm not so sure about opening one though anyway. Stores, restaurants, bars and housing would be the best bet in my book.

I meant it is not growing in terms of population.  There are houses being built out south, but people aren't moving to town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't? I thought the population figures released over the last couple of years show the town growing. It might not be growing at the rate of other cities, but I do believe it is getting bigger.