SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Efforts of UND Coaches

UND Fan

There have been recent discussions about the recruiting efforts and and level of success of various UND coaches in the non-revenue producing sports. Kelvin Ziegler does a great job with little money and while "selling" relatively poor facilities (when compared to many other schools).

He just announced the signing of a few more kids - a couple look very talented!

Heck - I guess I still don't know how to attach articles. You can find this on the UND website!

7/11/2005

UND baseball signs five to letters of intent

GRAND FORKS, N.D.--University of North Dakota head baseball coach Kelvin Ziegler announced today the signing of five student-athletes to letters of intent to compete for the Fighting Sioux next season.

Full Story

Yeah, Ziegler tends to bring in some good talent year after year, they just have a tough time putting it all together. He hasn't had a true pitching coach for years and that tends to hurt in the formation of a bullpen.

I wish more people would get out and watch the baseball team during the year, as those games are very fun. I'm not sure if people just don't know about the games or if they don't want to make the trek to Kraft but they sure are fun to go to. More and more people have been coming in the past few years and hopefully that trend will continue.

On my wish list for UND is a 2-3 million dollar baseball field by the Betty and REA. It doesn't have to be anything special, but just closer to campus. The bleacher seating would only have to hold about 1,000. Then I would make both a large patio type area along one baseline and a "grassy noll" or hill along the other, so when people aren't there it doesn't look bare, but when they are they have somewhere to sit. I guess I better head over to the C-store to pick up some lottery tickets!

i think its marketing...not many know about it...unless its NDSU and then there are 1500 people there....2.35 scholarships.....to get 40 guys out to play....you have to find kids who still want to play and love the game...the kid from ICC had 29 hr's in two y ears....54 RBI last year...i dont care what level it is or isnt...thats a lot of RBI and HR's....like i have said many times...a move up or even on a level playing field any of UND's coaches arent concerned about that as much as being able to compete for a championship....Z man would kill to have 9 scholarships like Central Missourri....no wonder their good huh....

as far as a pitching coach...heck even a full time asst. coach would help for recruiting...you simply cannot put that responsibility on a GA....they help a lot..but they cant evaluate talent.....they dont fully know the level of a player....its that simple....and its no wonder why Mankato St. is so good...they have a full time asst coach....possibly two and have more $$ than UND's baseball team...all and all....kudos to the baseball team.....along with many more kids who were recruited by other NCC schools and will be walking on at UND....because of the campus and the education level at UND.....the other thing that is killing UND is the act score of 21....simply crushing the border line kids....especially when your asking them to play and compete for no $$....

• 2 weeks later...

You know, i've always wondered what kind of scholarship money Ziegler has to work with. Baseball just doesn't get the recognition it deserves in my opinion.

(needless to say I am an avid baseball fan)

Although I keep up more with high school sports, I went to several games last year and I thought UND had a pretty solid team (pitching does need some work, who is UND's pitching coach? )

But on the level of recruiting, I read the latest article and yes Ziegler signed some players, but he's still missing one thing where his lack of scholarship money hurts him the most.....pitching. its tough to sign a stud pitcher with what he has to work with.

All in all, just like you guys said, I agree Ziegler does a good job of recruiting for what he has. i was looking at their lineup and they have 2 North Dakota players of the year at short and second in Stanley and Frenzel, (great athlete my opinion) , Ross Olson,(impressive swing :D ) Fairchild, and Wasiloski who hit the long ball very well, and a few other decent players who can compete.

You guys really know your UND sports though, I am quite impressed and enjoy reading what you guys have to say on these boards at work!! :lol:

You say Z doesn't have good facilites.  I don't agree. You don't think they take those baseball recruits to the Betty and the Ralph and the Alerus? 

Those kids are there BECAUSE of the facilites

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enlighten me! Other than being impressive facilities to have on campus (Ralph and Betty), how do they help recruit baseball players who don't even work out in these facilities?

false promises.....now please enlighten me there....i know for a fact...even returning kids have to earn a spot on the roster....there are no gurantees to make the team...false promises how so???

I think the biggest kudos given to Ziegler can be example of Marsden who signed a letter of intent and if Z would not have let him go...he would not have gotten to Nebraska or possibly drafted...if he was here at UND...

So your telling me no coach ever talks up a recruit...come on espn....every coach does it....but he never gurantees a spot...and i have personally heard him say that to a kid on the phone and in person...

false promises.....now please enlighten me there....i know for a fact...even returning kids have to earn a spot on the roster....there are no gurantees to make the team...false promises how so???

I think the biggest kudos given to Ziegler can be example of Marsden who signed a letter of intent and if Z would not have let him go...he would not have gotten to Nebraska or possibly drafted...if he was here at UND...

So your telling me no coach ever talks up a recruit...come on espn....every coach does it....but he never gurantees a spot...and i have personally heard him say that to a kid on the phone and in person...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying that he promises a kid a starting spot or makes gaurantees, but I know of times where kids have said that they felt he had talked up a different game then what actually came about. Now, part of that is expected with every coach, you need to keep kids out so you have enough no matter what happens, but sometimes you need to be realistic with a kid too.

You can't tell me that the Marsden example is a great example. I look at that exactly the opposite. How could you, as a coach, not let a kid transfer who doesn't want to be there? Aaron didn't belong at UND and everyone knew it. He just didn't get marketed or seen like he should have. I look at it like this. If he wouldn't have let him transfer, that would have been one of the most classless, bush league moves in the history of UND athletics. Letting him go was just the right thing to do, not some great move on his part. I remember talking about how bush the UWGB coach was about the Koenig transfer and yet he allowed it. It's just the right thing to do.

as always there is more to the Marsden story than everyone always knows....including people who talk directly to Marsden and I will leave it at that!!!

secondly...the UWGB coach went to the paper and blasted the kid....that is what was wrong with what he did...plain and simple....it was wrong....

as always there is more to the Marsden story than everyone always knows....including people who talk directly to Marsden and I will leave it at that!!!

secondly...the UWGB coach went to the paper and blasted the kid....that is what was wrong with what he did...plain and simple....it was wrong....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess if you want to think that he did him a favor then that's your choice. I just think that a coach at any level needs to take a step back sometimes and see what's better for the individual kid. Sure the team might suffer a bit, but some kids need to be at a higher level, or at a lower level where they can compete with their peers.

That's what I meant by the UWGB thing. It was totally bush, yet he still allowed him to transfer. It would be way worse to keep a kid around and not let him transfer if he wanted to. Who wants a kid there that everyone knows doesn't belong? Whether it be he is not good enough, or too good?

you red river rats amaze me...must have been one of the red river boys who you believe got hosed over in baseball....and i bet i know which kid it is...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What the hell are you talking about? I didn't say he got hosed. They let him go, and he went on to be Big 12 newcomer of the year, and later Big 12 pitcher of the year. Then was drafted in the 3rd round of the draft. Yeah, he should probably have been at UND.

Obviously you have no idea what we are talking about, but thanks for your 2 cents.

when i have no idea what i am talking about?? ok...know it all

I was referring to your post about the coach telling kids they are better than they are and not getting to play...and like i wrote...i bet i know which river rat kid you are referring to...since all Red River kids believe they are the bomb!!!!

when i have no idea what i am talking about??  ok...know it all

I was referring to your post about the coach telling kids they are better than they are and not getting to play...and like i wrote...i bet i know which river rat kid you are referring to...since all Red River kids believe they are the bomb!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, not referring to a Red River kid. Not sure who you are talking about??

And thank you for the compliment, although I cannot accept it, as I don't know everything, it just appears that way. I do know quite a bit though, so thank you.

By the way, sorry about your hate for Red River. Many people hold anxiety toward Red River because of their success. I find that to be a compliment, much like everyone hating the Yankees.

As for the Koenig transfer. That was a HUGE pick-up for Zigs, considering in his two years he was such a vital part of the team.

What does anyone know about the new recruits coming in? Looks like he picked up a few ju-co transfers. Does anyone know if they are the "real deals?"

Zigs does do a fairly good job at recruiting, but how come he does such a terrible job of advertising his players for a possible baseball future after college?

As for the Koenig transfer.  That was a HUGE pick-up for Zigs, considering in his two years he was such a vital part of the team. 

What does anyone know about the new recruits coming in?  Looks like he picked up a few ju-co transfers.  Does anyone know if they are the "real deals?"

Zigs does do a fairly good job at recruiting, but how come he does such a terrible job of advertising his players for a possible baseball future after college?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Huh?

I know for a fact that one of the recruits that Z signed is going to UND because of facilites. That's what the kid said.

You don't think high school or JUCO kids don't get amazed by the facilities, even if their not playing in them. The coach I'm sure is saying, "look, we make a committment to athletics, etc."

I know for a fact that one of the recruits that Z signed is going to UND because of facilites.  That's what the kid said.

You don't think high school or JUCO kids don't get amazed by the facilities, even if their not playing in them.  The coach I'm sure is saying, "look, we make a committment to athletics, etc."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you're telling me this kid told you that he is going to UND because of Englestead Arena and the Alerus Center? If true, that really surprises me.

I wouldn't doubt it. It have to realize that athlete's have to lift some where (UND has very good strength facilities), study some where, and train some where indoors (UND has able indoor space already and a new indoor practice facility would be a huge asset to all outdoor sports).

It's likely that the strength facilities and the indoor training options outweighed an off campus field (that is pretty good too).