SiouxSports.com Forum

2005-06 a big year for h.s. bball in GF

UND92,96

I haven't seen this reported in the local media, but Grand Forks will be hosting some good basketball tournaments next year. Both the east regional and state class A boys and girls (combined) basketball tournaments, and the boys class B region 2 tournament will be in GF. link I realize it's not as big of a deal as the boys state B, but it's still a nice coup for this area. I don't believe Grand Forks has hosted the boys class A tournament in my lifetime, as it's historically been on a Fargo/Bismarck/Minot rotation.

I haven't seen this reported in the local media, but Grand Forks will be hosting some good basketball tournaments next year. Both the east regional and state class A boys and girls (combined) basketball tournaments, and the boys class B region 2 tournament will be in GF.  link I realize it's not as big of a deal as the boys state B, but it's still a nice coup for this area. I don't believe Grand Forks has hosted the boys class A tournament in my lifetime, as it's historically been on a Fargo/Bismarck/Minot rotation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Semi-surprised this could happen politically without GF losing the hockey tournament (to the Bismarck Civic Center, for instance.) At some point, it would seem likely that the Ralph would bid on the Class B boys tournament, which occurs on the same weekend as the WCHA Final Five.

Since there will be hockey series at the Ralph during the Class A events (M Tech / WCHA playoffs), all the Class A events must be at the Alerus (which can't hurt its bottom line). With the overlap between the Class A and B dates, the Class B regional must be at the Betty. With the UND women's BB teams, it would seem possible that there would be NCC and NCAA tournament action at the Betty the same weekends (but they don't conflict with the Class B events). In the longshot chance that UND BB men ever needed to host a post-season tournament at the same time, it would get interesting.

Just as an aside: is the CANAD Inn / waterpark waiting for the BRAC announcement prior to proceeding with construction? With the NCAA hockey regional also in GF next year, March of 2006 would have seemed an ideal target for opening.

Just as an aside:  is the CANAD Inn / waterpark waiting for the BRAC announcement prior to proceeding with construction? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that is one of a couple reasons I have heard why they are not proceeding yet. I keep hearing excuses come from city government, everything from they haven't got all of their permits in order yet to they haven't gotten all of their contracting and subcontracting work done yet.

I have begun to wonder what is really going on with the CANAD Inn.

I'm pretty sure that the new rule is you have to have two courts in the same building to be able to host. The Alerus, Ralph/Betty, Fargodome, BSA, and Bismarck can all do this, but I'm pretty sure Minot cannot. Does anyone know if Minot is still in the rotation? I would think people would rather have the tourney in the Alerus rather then the Ralph. The Alerus has a great set-up for two games at the same time.

As an aside, this is an interesting read as it shows that there are some people out west who actually have the audacity to suggest that EVERY state tournament should be held in a "central location," which I interpret as excluding Grand Forks and Fargo in particular. You have to scroll down to the District 15 notes. It would be hard to imagine the Dakota Bowl, for example, NOT being held at the Alerus or Fargodome, or the state hockey tournament NOT being held at the Ralph. I'm disappointed that the state track meet will now be held exclusively in Bismarck, as even though I would agree that their facility is newer and nicer, I feel that the impetus behind it had more to do with Bismarck being more "centrally located" than with the quality of the facilities. That's a slippery slope that I really don't want to see extend to moving other state competitions to exclusively Bismarck or Minot just because some people in the western half of the state don't want to travel more than a couple of hours for a state competition.