SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux "Walsh" Jerseys

SiouxFanInBoston

A UMaine hockey fan forwarded this to me the other day after we talked about the game when the Sioux wore their specially-made Sioux "Walsh" jerseys and then presented them to the Maine team so that money could be raised for Coach Walsh's medical bills. He just happened to get this email later that day -- it's from the UMaine hockey email list.

"Frustrated Maine fan going to see hockey Last Four in Columbus next week.

"Intending to give full support to the Fighting Sioux in their quest to beat

what could be BOTH teams that beat Maine to end their last two seasons.

"Would love to be adorned with a Walsh-named Sioux jersey whilst in Ohio next

week. Would offer a promise to pay FedEX costs to me, FedEX costs to get it

back to you and a donation to charity of your choice for right to wear as a

rental. Think of it like you are in the tux business....

"We could use a lot of Walshes in Columbus, but I had this idea...There must

be a few of you with a "Walsh" that are not doing the Last Four this year...

"If interested, email reply off-list, but quickly. We leave Saturday morning 3/30 early.

"Many thanks.

"GO SIOUX (sort of sounds like GO BLUE, huh...)"

This whole Maine-Sioux connection is really one of the best stories in college sports. Maine is a classy program and Sean Walsh was a wonderful young man who was called home far, far too early. It is heart-warming to read all the support Sioux fans have expressed over the years for the Black Bears, and vice versa. As soon as the last east coast team was eliminated from this year's tourney, the USCHO board lit up with a bunch of Maine fans loudly proclaiming their support for the Sioux in the Frozen Four.

Maine is top shelf stuff; unlike some of our WCHA co-horts.

This whole Maine-Sioux connection is really one of the best stories in college sports. Maine is a classy program and Sean Walsh was a wonderful young man who was called home far, far too early. It is heart-warming to read all the support Sioux fans have expressed over the years for the Black Bears, and vice versa. As soon as the last east coast team was eliminated from this year's tourney, the USCHO board lit up with a bunch of Maine fans loudly proclaiming their support for the Sioux in the Frozen Four.

Maine is top shelf stuff; unlike some of our WCHA co-horts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Native American tribute to Coach Walsh at the Ralph was one of the most moving experiences that I have ever seen. I believe that helped solidify the respect the two programs and fans have for each other. I personally support Maine over every other non-WCHA team and wholeheartedly supported them over the Gophers in the playoffs.

They are a class act.

The Native American tribute to Coach Walsh at the Ralph was one of the most moving experiences that I have ever seen. I believe that helped solidify the respect the two programs and fans have for each other. I personally support Maine over every other non-WCHA team and wholeheartedly supported them over the Gophers in the playoffs.

They are a class act.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I see a lot of the Sioux in the Maine program. I also cheer for them regularly.

Last October my wife and I went the the Sioux games in Maine. This was an outstanding experience. The two programs are so similar to each other. Both have a tremendous amounto class. The Maine fans were great to us. Also, if anyone started talking too much crap during the game, we would just say "BC sucks," and everyone was happy. When we are not playing each other, go Maine...