SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL Draft Cancelled

sprig

I love the thought process. We've screwed with the livelihoods of enough adults (ticket-takers, concessions, ushers, etc.), how about we do the same with hundreds of teenagers!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We? So you're in on it, too? :sad::lol:

SiouxScore,

The NHL draft and CBA are totally, completely and inextricably linked. The draft is one of the offspring of the CBA. If there is no CBA there can be no draft. Even if the NHL and NHLPA reach an agreement in the very near future I have no idea how they would hold a draft. It would have to be some sort of lottery type draft.

Any player who has already been drafted remains property of the NHL team, according the NHL. The length of time they belong to the team depends upon what league they were playing in at the time they were drafted, ie, different time periods for CHL players, US college hockey players and Euros.

Thanks NDFlyer,

I'm sure I missed this topic elsewhere on the board, but what is the majority opinion. Do the NHL teams go after these guys as soon as they can after the college season ends, and then try to find a spot for them on the farm? Or does no CBA end all of that negotiation also?

This is just my opinion, but I think that organizations will continue to take steps to develop their players. If a team thinks one of its players has done all he can at his current level (college or CHL), I think they'll probably move them up to play against bigger, stronger, faster and generally better players. That way, the player will be ready for the big leagues sooner than if he stayed at the lower level. (In fact, if the eventual new system offers free agency sooner as a trade-off for a cap, then it will be in teams' best interests to play their younger players sooner, and develop them earlier.)

I would guess most elite college players will be open to moving up for developmental purposes, even if it is not for the big contract that it would have been for last year. This is their career, and their dream. So I won't be surprised to see high draft picks move up in the offseason.

What I find really interesting about this is the Sydney Crosby issue. The value of the #1 pick in the next draft will be incredibly valuable. Who will get him on and on what grounds. I think they should just give the pick to the team that plays the most boring style... BTW, This all but gaurentees that Phill Kessell will NOT be a #1 overall pick.

Go WILD... :sad:

Totally agree with jk. It all depends upon how the club feels about the development needs of the particular player.

SiouxScore, I am also wondering about the answer to your last question. There will soon be many junior players and college players who will be ready to play at the next level once their junior or college eligibility expires which in some cases will be within the next few days or even weeks.

I am not sure how this works in the case of a player who was drafted while the last CBA was in place but who is now ready to sign a pro contract. I only follow Flyers prospects and I know that Bobby Clarke has said that he will sign Jeff Carter and Mike Richards to AHL deals once their junior seasons are done even though they were drafted in 2003.......way back when we had major league hockey as opposed to these little joke pansy a$$ celebrity tour tournaments sponsored by notorious loudmouths such as Chelios, Roenick and the rest of those greedheads.

Anyway, Clarke said he could sign them to some sort of short term tryout contract which would allow them to play in the AHL playoffs...or something like that.

Not sure if this helps to enlighten you...

The situation is less clear with undrafted players who are eligible this year, such as the new "Next One," Sidney Crosby. There is speculation that if there is no draft, they would be free agents.

NHL executive vice president Bill Daly quelched the speculation.

"Clubs will retain the rights to all players as to who had rights at the time of the lockout," Daly said. "As it relates to NHL clubs, their rights to players are totally as defined by the collective bargaining process. No club is in danger of losing rights to a player due to the passage of time. The same is true with players eligible for the draft this year."

There are sure to be challenges from league general managers when it comes to the draft order and which clubs will get the rights to the top prospects.

AS NDFlyer stated, teams like the Flyers can sign their prospects to amateur tryout contracts when they are finished with their currant obligations. By signing players to tryout contracts, teams don't have to worry about the lack of an agreement with the National Hockey League Players Association and can continue to oversee the develop of their best players.

This information comes from a Philadelphia Daily News article posted on Flyersphans.com. No link to the newspaper because you have to register to read it . If you want the full article as it was posted go here:

No stoppage for prospects