jk

Just a few stats to start with:

Quinn Fylling:

2000/01 42 games 4-3-7

2002/03 6 games 3-7-10

Team SHG:

2001/02 37 games 4 SHG

2002/03 6 games 5 SHG (I think)

I don't think anyone is "on a pace" for anything, but I do like the comparisons above. I'll have a few more thoughts later.

:D Sounds like Quinn made the right decision by going back to Juniors. I hope he keeps up the good work. The things I noticed about Quinn his first time around with UND was that he is a really awesome skater and has decent moves. Maybe Quinn was just to young to be playing in the WCHA his first year. I am also sure it doesn't hurt playing with Brandon and Zach.

I am pleasantly surprised by the ability to score. With the loss of Bayda and Skarperud, I thought they would struggle a little out of the gate but they seem to have no trouble scoring goals and, more importantly, creating scoring chances. Bochenski looks much more interested this year, thanks no doubt to his new linemate. We have two solid scoring lines and the potential for a third provided they can find a playmaker to pair with Massen (Genoway, Connelly??). You can't ask for more than that.

I'm disappointed in the play in our own zone. Other than goaltending, I thought our biggest need going into the year was strong puckhandling in our own zone. This hasn't materialized. Alot of the responsibility here goes on the D-men. Nick Fuher has looked okay but I was really expecting Schneider and Jones to develop more. By and large, opponents have not been scoring on odd man rushes or by cycling the puck, they've been doing it by intercepting clearing passes or forcing turnovers in our zone. This will kill the Sioux against teams with more than one line of skilled offensive players. Curiously, they play one this weekend.

Obviously, goaltending remains a question mark. From what I heard, Seimbida played very well on Saturday, keeping the Sioux in the game through a very hectic stretch to begin the 2nd period. He's had his shaky moments though, as has Brandt. But goaltending is always a question mark for the Sioux. Except for the early 80s with Iwabucchi, Jensen, Casey, etc., UND has never had a wealth of talent in goal like say, a Wisconsin. In fact, since then, I can't think of a season where goaltending wasn't a concern, at least to start the year (with the exception of Karl's last three years).