SiouxSports.com Forum

Come on Gene!

CougarHater1993

Both the Omaha and GF newspapers mention that Roebuck couldn't be reached for comment. What a joke! Face the music and answer the questions. 10 fulld rides, biggest budget, best facilities and another loss!

no guts to answer questions. Well, you better not answer any questions after a big win either. Grow up

your right. But the facts are true.

UND and NDSU women's BBall coaches. Wow! Ruly doesn't play any D1 opponents and gets pissed when she's get called on the carpet in the Forum. Because she's afraid she'll lose and there is no way an Amy Ruley team should lose.

Then Gene loses a couple games and pouts. I'll be reading the Herald and he better not chat to the media following a win.

go ahead and rip me now

Dude get a grip. This is common in all of sports for a coach after a hard fought loss. The coach doesn't want to say something in the heat of the moment they may regret. He does a cable tv and radio show a week and the fans and media will have time to interview him all they want then.

Win or lose it is a coach's responsibility to talk to the media.  I've coached and got my rear kicked, but still talked to the media.  Roebuck ditching the media shows little class.  He is a grown-up, act like it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to condone what Roebuck did, but he isn't the first coach to avoid the media after a disappointing loss, and he won't be the last.

No coach should avoid the media after a tough loss or tough win.  It is a part of the job.  It isn't easy to talk to the press after a loss.  But it has to be done!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't disagree. But having been on the receiving end of such treatment, I know that it happens more often than most people think it does.

I'm definitely not defending Roebuck on this one, but I believe the situation was that he was really upset about a non-call at the end of regulation when the score was tied and UND had the ball. Based on the replay, it looked like Carissa Jahner got hammered, but no call was made. Obviously, UNO went on to win in ot. I believe coaches get fined by the conference for publicly criticizing officials, and I suspect Roebuck knew he probably couldn't hold his tongue immediately after a rather embarrassing loss so he probably felt that not speaking with the media immediately after the game would be the lesser of two evils. Again, I'm not defending it as I think he should have done the interviews, but I also think there was some reason behind it beyond simply being a "poor loser." It doesn't mean anybody has to agree with what he did, but from his perspective, at least he didn't get fined, nor did he make some comments that would prove to be embarrassing once he had a little time to cool off. I can think of several coaches who have made ridiculous comments immediately after a loss who probably wished in retrospect that they had simply said nothing.