SiouxSports.com Forum

Hockey

chevy49

Thanks for posting, schmidtdog. :angry: Honestly, I thought Commodore was a better college defenseman than Greene, and he's had his share of difficulty sticking in the "big show". So I extrapolated from there. Then again, these scouts on Hockey's Future have forgotten more hockey than I'll ever know. I hope that their assessment is right, and Matt has a bright future in the NHL...if there's any NHL left. ??? Major junior would have been a better route for Matt, in retrospect. I wonder how many 6-4, 225 lb. type of d-men we will see committing to NCAA D-I over the next few years. Not many, I'd guess.

Thanks for posting, schmidtdog.  :angry: Honestly, I thought Commodore was a better college defenseman than Greene, and he's had his share of difficulty sticking in the "big show".  So I extrapolated from there.  Then again, these scouts on Hockey's Future have forgotten more hockey than I'll ever know.  I hope that their assessment is right, and Matt has a bright future in the NHL...if there's any NHL left.  ???  Major junior would have been a better route for Matt, in retrospect.  I wonder how many 6-4, 225 lb. type of d-men we will see committing to NCAA D-I over the next few years.  Not many, I'd guess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Commodore and Greene have had strikingly similar UND careers. The penalty last Saturday would have been called if it were Commodore as well. I think of it as a "reputation penalty." Edomonton was VERY high on Greene. It seems like they still are. I agree with the article. There is no way that Greene flies back from the NCAAs with the team. I think he flies right to the tryout or tries to get signed.

What's happening to Greene is really, IMO, the start of a death knell for true big defensive defensemen in the NCAAs. There won't be too many of them around in the future if things like the open letter and the poor officiating continue.

I'm sticking with Greene. He has had his problems, but I'll stand up for him. I don't know how well he'll do in the NHL. I don't care really. It's not the Sioux's problem once he signs. While he is a Sioux, I'll root for him. I hope he makes the NHL someday but the reality is, not everyone does.

Only time will tell but in my opinion Dion Phaneuf will be logging more NHL ice time than Matt Greene within the next couple of years; and it might be a couple of years before there is a season unless the greedhead players come back down to Earth.

I watched Phaneuf in last year's WJT and there is only one word to describe him: STUD.