SiouxSports.com Forum

Ralph Englestad Arena

dagies

Ok, I know this was beaten to death pre-season but I want to give my input now that I have seen the place.

wow.

We all know of instances in our past where something was built up, our expectations then increased to a point reality could not match.

I'll be honest.  For me, that didn't happen this weekend.

I was simply impressed by that whole place.  The exterior is beautiful (Don't EVER build anything between the REA and Columbia/Gateway.  That view is MAGNIFICENT.

The interior is just beautiful.  You really have to see it in person to get the full effect.  All the pictures in the world don't quite do it justice.  The color scheme's work wonderfully.  The deep green iron work contrasted to all the beautiful brass lettering and accents give the place a very rich look.  The granite all over is warm.

You just like being in this building.

The front entrance is amazing.  We stopped in during the day just so we could see the entrance without people all over it.  What an impressive space.  Stand-alone glass cases with the NCAA championship trophies, one for Hrkac Hobey Baker statue, one holding the McNaughton Cup.  Etc.

And pictures ALL over the place.  The first level has misc history photos, and a picture of all the UND All-Americans.  The upper level has picture of every Sioux that has gone to the NHL and a picture of them in their pro uniform.  It took better than an hour before the games just to wander and take all this stuff in.

Then let's talk details.  I had heard people talk about the attention paid to details in this building.  I figgered, what's up with that?  What can you mean by details?  I'll give an example.  The bathrooms are similarly configured for most arena these days, big entrance where you walk in one side and exit the other.  But at the REA, each side of that large entrance has a hand-pole attached to the end, so you can grab the pole and pinwheel around the end of the wall easily and quickly.  Who would think of that?  And, of course, they are done in green and brass like everything else.

Outside, on the exterior, are small green flags or pennants.  During the day you don't really notice these.  But at night as they light the exterior if the building, lights are trained on these pennants, and they add a very nice touch of color to the exterior.  Just a small thing.......

Then the arena area itself.  Very nice.  And those leather seats are everything they are advertised to be.  Seriously.  I went into them thinking what a waste of good money.  But dang, they were comfy!  I didn't even feel like standing at the end of the period like usual to give my butt a rest (could be a problem with getting folks to cheer, but didn't hinder me!)

The view of the ice is outstanding.  We sat half-way up in section 314, one corner of the ice.  We're quite a ways from the ice, but it is SO steep that you are not that far away.  We did feel a bit detached from the action up there, but you really could see well, even on the other end of the ice.  You could see everything that went on on the ice, clearly.

We stole down for a couple periods behind the goal and of course that was great too.

I would suggest they find something better for the video ring than running ads.  On Sat. they used it a bit more to get people to cheer.  I wish I had control of that thing.  We'd do things a bit different.

We need a few more replays on the big screen.

Don't miss a chance to see this place.  It truly is something special.

(During Friday's game, they int. Chad Mazurak's dad out on the ice.  The asked him about Chad's rehab over Christmas.  He could not say enough good things about how great the rehad facilities are in that building, and how they helped Chad get back on the ice more quickly than expected).