SiouxSports.com Forum

Gopher Time

MNtoUND

Wow, the Gopher football team is coming to the Alerus? That might be a cause for concern for the Sioux continuing their winning ways (but the Al would be sold out :p ). Gopher hockey teams coming to Engelstad should be concerned with their own survival. :):0

BTW - Gophers trolling here are not welcome. :p

Yeah man, I get enough flak, and I'm only a GVSU Laker. These boys are crazy!! Don't UND fans go out during the summer to collect road kill gophers and freeze them so they can toss them out onto the ice, a la Octopi in Detroit?? SMN even claims a Badger has made it out to the ice. I would play nice man. :p:0:p

Yeah man, I get enough flak, and I'm only a GVSU Laker. These boys are crazy!! Don't UND fans go out during the summer to collect road kill gophers and freeze them so they can toss them out onto the ice, a la Octopi in Detroit?? SMN even claims a Badger has made it out to the ice. I would play nice man. :p:0:p

I can verify the badger sighting, a couple geese and ducks (in season of course).

I can also recall a live chicken.

Rumors about small beef cattle being tossed are, however, to the best of my recollection, exaggerations.

A live Chicken?? Who was playing??? Alice Cooper??? :):p

Alice :0 good one.

Its 1980 (a strange year for the hockey gods) 3rd period of a close game between archrivals Minnesota and North Dakota. Minnesota is about to go on a 5 on 3 powerplay after a couple dumb Sioux penalties. Which is where home crowd advantage kicks in :p

Someone (I do not know who, but s/he deserves some kind of hall of fame Sioux Award), who may have been sitting with a live chicken for a couple hours, unnoticed (!) in the student section, tosses a live chicken on the ice. The teams are cracking up, there's a decent delay while the ice rink crew chases down and herds the chicken off the ice.

I'm not sure whether it was the extra crowd energy, or the distraction wilted the Gophers concentration, but the Sioux killed off the 2 minutes of 5x3.

Ah, the good old days.