SiouxSports.com Forum

Top ND High School Teams 04-05

Jack Mickleson

I agree with south winning the championship at least once in the next few years but I disagree with getting rid of Wilson if they dont. He is the BEST coach in the state, hands down.

I didn't mean to imply they should get rid of Wilson, only the pressure from the parents to replace him will be pretty strong. From what I've seen of Wilson he seems to be a good coach, but I wouldn't say he's the best in the state. His JV coach Curt Smith is the best coach I personally ever had as a player or worked with when I coached. Howard at GFC was USHL coach. Wald in Bismarck is very good coach. Shanley may have the best overall coaching staff with Graveline and the Burgraffs. Matt Malm at GFRR seems to know what he's doing, although I don't know him at all.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with south winning the championship at least once in the next few years but I disagree with getting rid of Wilson if they dont. He is the BEST coach in the state, hands down.

I respectfully disagree. Dean knows a lot about hockey, but has often played dump-and-chase despite having good skating teams, and has not done well with very good talent and big numbers. He missed the state tournament for at least 2 years before last year. However, even if I agreed that he's a good coach, the point is that he better win with the talent he has coming in. The Flyers from the incoming Juniors down to squirts are very talented.

souths best chance of winning will most likely be 07

'07...? do you relize who south has right now? saying souths best chance at state is in '07 is crazy, thats like saying whapeton will be the best team in the state next year.

I hadn't heard Erickson was hired, who did he replace? I agree, Erickson is a very good coach, I wonder if he was hired to eventually replace Smith.

If South doesn't win State in the next couple of years the Southside parents yearly calls for Wilson's head may actually be heard by the South administration.

I remember the good old days when the North side ruled South in hockey :0

Schmidtdoggydog needs to move to the Northside, his kid has a heck of a shot .... of course he's just out of diapers.

As far as the Fargo South Administration goes I don't think they'll be firing Wilson since he was recently hired as a Dean of Students at South. As far as Jay Erickson is concerned I hatted him. He was my position coach for three years at south in the early 90's and I couldn't stand the guy. That was 11 years ago so maybe he's changed.

As a South grad I hope they can rebound from a disapointing end to last year, and take home their 3rd state title.

Although I also disagree with #1siouxfan22 on '07 being the BEST chance for South to win a title, let's not overlook the fact that last year the Flyers won the Bantam A state title (the group that will be seniors in '07) and they will have solid goaltending in the promising sophomore Deichert. IMO I wouldn't be surprised if South took the title in '05, '06, '07,'09.

i agree south has a very good chance in those 4 years, they will have very strong teams, with very strong goaltending next year from the Senior Ben Mclean and Sean Deichert backing up.

But will Fargo South be that good since they lost Marc Harry to Shanley?

I assume you mean Marc Harrie? South didn't lose him, he played for Shanley as a sophomore last season. He's a fun kid to watch, I coached against him in youth hockey, very quick player that gives 100%. He was one the best players on Shanley last year, but he probably wouldn't have had much of an impact on a very deep South team, he probably would have played JV, especially with Wilson as coach - small talented players don't fit his style. Which is his loss IMHO.

I assume you mean Marc Harrie? South didn't lose him, he played for Shanley as a sophomore last season. He's a fun kid to watch, I coached against him in youth hockey, very quick player that gives 100%. He was one the best players on Shanley last year, but he probably wouldn't have had much of an impact on a very deep South team, he probably would have played JV, especially with Wilson as coach - small talented players don't fit his style. Which is his loss IMHO.

I agree that Marc Harrie is a talented palyer however South losing him is not much of an impact, after all how many goals did he score lats year?...2.....?

Small talented players don't fit coach Wilson's style? Weisgarber is 5'7". Tyler Dalbey is 5'7" 135 and a first line captain who will be a likely candidate for Mr. Hockey. If a player is talented enough at South, he will play. Their coach puts the best players he has on the ice. Period. Harrie would have played JV because he wasn't talented enough to crack the varsity lineup at South.

You don't know what you are talking about. Paul may only be 5'7", but he is probably between 160 and 170. He is very solid. He is also exceptional and probably the most talented player from South since Brandon Askew. There is always room for a "small" guy at any school when you have skills like Paul. However, Wilson loves big wingers and big defenseman, even if the smaller players are more skilled. It fits his style of dump and chase hockey.

Dalbey a Mr. Hockey candidate? Please! He's not bad, but Adam Campbell, Paul and Logan Doeden are better even from South. You are right that Marc Harrie would not have played varsity last year for South, but I disagree that he would not have made varsity this year, barring politics or size issues. He was one of the best players on the Flyers teams at every level, playing 2nd line center behind Paul Weisgarber. The problem is that the junior class is very talented, so some very good forwards will be fighting for varsity time with Paul Weisgarber, Adam Campbell, Logan Doeden (who is actually a sophomore, but is the same age and played all the way up with these guys), Josh Ramberg, Brandon Mauch, Adam Kotchian, Grant Larson, Pat Gores, etc.

As I have said before, if South does not win with this talent, there is something wrong.

You don't know what you are talking about. Paul may only be 5'7", but he is probably between 160 and 170. He is very solid. He is also exceptional and probably the most talented player from South since Brandon Askew. There is always room for a "small" guy at any school when you have skills like Paul. However, Wilson loves big wingers and big defenseman, even if the smaller players are more skilled. It fits his style of dump and chase hockey.

Dalbey a Mr. Hockey candidate? Please! He's not bad, but Adam Campbell, Paul and Logan Doeden are better even from South. You are right that Marc Harrie would not have played varsity last year for South, but I disagree that he would not have made varsity this year, barring politics or size issues. He was one of the best players on the Flyers teams at every level, playing 2nd line center behind Paul Weisgarber. The problem is that the junior class is very talented, so some very good forwards will be fighting for varsity time with Paul Weisgarber, Adam Campbell, Logan Doeden (who is actually a sophomore, but is the same age and played all the way up with these guys), Josh Ramberg, Brandon Mauch, Adam Kotchian, Grant Larson, Pat Gores, etc.

As I have said before, if South does not win with this talent, there is something wrong.

i dont thin kyou know what you're talking about. dump and chase hockey? no south does not play dump and chase hockey obviously you dont pay much attention or you know nothing about hockey. i looked at souths roster last year and only 3 forwards were six feet or taller and 2 of those players didnt get much ice timeexcept one of them got a hat-trick against shanley in the first period last year, i wouldnt call south a big hockey team in any sence.

i dont thin kyou know what you're talking about. dump and chase hockey? no south does not play dump and chase hockey obviously you dont pay much attention or you know nothing about hockey. i looked at souths roster last year and only 3 forwards were six feet or taller and 2 of those players didnt get much ice timeexcept one of them got a hat-trick against shanley in the first period last year, i wouldnt call south a big hockey team in any sence.

Saying skates knows nothing about hockey is the equivalent of saying you are good with spelling and punctuation. Both are categorically inaccurate statements.

Take your jive talk somewhere else and start paying attention in class!

Saying skates knows nothing about hockey is the equivalent of saying you are good with spelling and punctuation. Both are categorically inaccurate statements.

Take your jive talk somewhere else and start paying attention in class!

Jive Talkin

Ok, Dalbey has about as much chance of being named Mr. Hockey as Whap/Breck does of making it to state. That's not a knock against him, he is a good player, but not one of the best in the state.

I don't know who Skateshattrick is, but he has proven to be very knowledgeable about high school hockey in the area. So yes, he knows what he's talking about. Having seen Wilson's South teams for many years, he has always used the dump and chase. Anybody with any hockey knowledge could easily see that. He is an old school Canadian that coaches an old school Canadian system. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that, but that is the way he coaches.

Weisgarber is very strong in the corners, and aggressive on the forecheck, I don't know how much he weighs, but I'm inclined to believe he is much bigger than 130lbs.

I hope my jive talkin link works. :0

By the way I was just making a joke about marc harrie, and imo the next two years GFRR will be the top team in the state and probably years after that since GF switched its bantam system to a draft. When the juniors and seniors of 2006 were in bantams they were two differnt teams but now when they get to high school the majority will all go to Red River and only a few to central. And one of those teams embarassed the favored Fargp South in the state semifinals in 2003, before losing to us in the final. So I think that even tho Central was the top team the last 2 years that Red River will be a force in those next years, you just can't see it since they divide them into two teams. And speaking of next years Mr hockey, i'd say Jake Marto has it allready won. I don't know what you guys are talking about with this South guy.

By the way I was just making a joke about marc harrie, and imo the next two years GFRR will be the top team in the state and probably years after that since GF switched its bantam system to a draft. When the juniors and seniors of 2006 were in bantams they were two differnt teams but now when they get to high school the majority will all go to Red River and only a few to central. And one of those teams embarassed the favored Fargp South in the state semifinals in 2003, before losing to us in the final. So I think that even tho Central was the top team the last 2 years that Red River will be a force in those next years, you just can't see it since they divide them into two teams. And speaking of next years Mr hockey, i'd say Jake Marto has it allready won. I don't know what you guys are talking about with this South guy.

Do you still play high school for Minot MinotMagic, or did you play in the past?

Skateshattrick, you are a master mind about Fargo South. Do you play for them?

Wilson will be around for a while. He has good teams coming up for 3 or 4 years. They have there youth program working well. He did get the dean of students and activities director position. Jay Erickson is good for north hockey. He is a strait laced coach that will help clean fargo north hockey. He is a great skills coach, an area in which north has lacked. Erickson took over for Mike Beaton

My vote.

1. South

2. RR

3. Central (you can't count out central...ever)

4. Grafton

5. North

6. Minot