SiouxSports.com Forum

Walk-ons

UND Fan

SU fans: relax, this isn't a shot at your institution it is simply a question!

This was discussed earlier in the football forum, I believe, but I thought that university athletic departments were not allowed to formally announce that a student was going to going to walk-on. My understand was that they could only publicize recruits who were going to get scholarship $.

Obviously, it is common for this type of news to be "leaked" to the local press who publish or broadcast the info.

This was question was brought to mind by yesterday's NDSU press release that a Moorhead female BB player was going to walk-on.

Someone enlighten me!

I'll fill in some gaps with what I know.

A school can only talk (via press release) about recruits who have signed a national letter of intent.

A student-athlete can "verbal" at any time.

A school can not talk about a student-athlete who has made a verbal commitment (meaning hasn't signed an LOI); however, the media can talk about the verbal being given if they find out about it. The media seems to find out through the student-athlete, their parents, friends, or the student-athlete's HS coach.

If the media asks a coach about a recruit, the wise coach says something to the effect that they can't talk about possible recruits who haven't signed an LOI.

I've never heard of NDSU announcing a walk-on before. That is really odd. Then again, I didn't know about the institutional letter of intent until this year either. Remember USD announcing a signing class of about 1000? Obviously, not all of them had signed National Letters of Intent (NLI). It turns out that they signed "institutional letters of intent." Anyway, I checked the NCAA regulations and apparently the NCAA lets you announce a signing upon receiving an NLI or "subsequent to the prospect's signed acceptance of the institution's written offer of admission and/or financial aid." (NCAA Reg 13.11.8 Announcement of Signing).

I wonder why NDSU chose to announce this particular walk-on. I'm assuming Ms Hooten was consulted beforehand (or, even better, requested the release herself).