SiouxSports.com Forum

Coaching jobs

Siouxatc

UNO announces candidates

BASKETBALL: Four finalists for the Nebraska at Omaha head women's basketball coaching job will interview this week, athletic director Bob Danenhauer said. The four who were selected from a field of 79 candidates are Annette Wiles, head coach at Fort Hays State; Tony Hobson, head coach at Hastings College; Patricia Shearer, head coach at Fort Lewis College; and Amy Gusso-Williams, assistant coach at Oklahoma State. Lisa Carlsen resigned in February.

Anyone heard about the Mankato job? Did they hire anyone?

Mankato announced hiring Lori Fish today.  Yesterday Paul Fessler and David Stromme both pulled their names out of the running.

I would think that it's something of a surprise that MSU-Mankato would hire as its head coach an assistant coach from a program which generally is no better than middle-of-the-pack in the NCC. It will be interesting to see if she can keep more of the top southern Minnesota girls closer to home. UND and NDSU have done quite well recruiting down there over the years.

An inside source at MSU told me last week that Stromme and Fish were the finalists for the MSU women's position, but Stromme withdrew Tuesday. My personal guess is that both Stromme and Fessler withdrew over salary level. From the perspective of an MSU fan, I hope that Fish can utilize her NCC connections and experience to raise the program to a competive level at last, but many MSU fans were surprised that a higher-profile candidate was not hired. Included in the applicants was a former UND women's player and assistant, who I personally felt would have made a good hire. The view from southern Minnesota is that this is a good girl's basketball talent area, and good talent from the area has gotten away too often. Maybe the new coach can get some of it to stay here.

• 2 weeks later...

UNO hired Patty Shearer who coached at Fort Lewis who played the Sioux close in the regionals. Maybe now UNO will actually be competitive against the Sioux. We have had about as much luck beating you in Womens B-ball as you have had against us in Womens Softball. What are the going to do with the old Hyslop arena. That was a great basketball venue and it sound like the REA and Betty are taking over.

Maverick

UNO hired Patty Shearer who coached at Fort Lewis who played the Sioux close in the regionals. Maybe now UNO will actually be competitive against the Sioux. We have had about as much luck beating you in Womens B-ball as you have had against us in Womens Softball. What are the going to do with the old Hyslop arena. That was a great basketball venue and it sound like the REA and Betty are taking over.

Maverick

A new coach is probably a step in the right direction, but I'm sure you'd agree that UNO has a long, long way to go before they're competitive with UND in women's basketball. Roebuck's .850 winning percentage since the '87-'88 season is one of the more impressive coaching accomplishments I'm aware of, and UND is not showing any signs of dropping off anytime soon.