SiouxSports.com Forum

Luke Beaverson

alum05

To hear certain other "fans" from other programs tell it, here and elsewhere, another coach could recruit when the player was in utero, and still expect the kid to maintain the commitment, develop accordingly and stay in college a full 4 years. Gee. Maybe Blais should listen to these "experts". Then again, that welfare mentality may explain why some coach, and most don't. :angry::D

I agree that the Beaverson situation is pretty opaque. However, I would submit that when players and coaches make the initial verbal agreement, there is an understanding that progress will be monitored in HS, the USHL or wherever, and they are given plenty of "counseling" from their coaches to move their game to the next level.

Players who walk-on to a program are at risk of not returning the next year. A list of names such as that just provided should not include walk-ons like O'Leary and Ranfranz.

The difference with O'Leary is that it was reported he was promised a scholorship for the 01/02 season after playing well the previous year (he played a nice checking game in the NCAA's). It is hard to imagine how a Freshman who saw regular playing time on the third line of a team that played in the Championship game gets cut the next season. Of course most of my info comes from the Forum and other North siders following the story. Which is why I'm sure there is more to the story.