SiouxSports.com Forum

Friends and Classmates of Otto Rogelstad, Jr.

SiouxFanInBoston

I've known Otto for nearly 5 years. By complete coincidence, two native North Dakotans ended up working in the same legal department for a company in Boston. Otto and I had that North Dakota commaraderie that you don't find anywhere else. Otto also had that North Dakota humor that you just can't miss if you're from North Dakota yourself.

Sadly, Otto, at 57, passed away suddenly this morning in Boston. Otto graduated from both undergrad at UND and Law School ('72 or '73). He was at his favorite coffee shop this morning and collapsed.

It's a very sad day for me. It was very unique to be working in an office with another North Dakotan -- we had that North Dakota connection you won't find in many places outside of the midwest. He also had that wonderful "punny" North Dakota sense of humor.

Otto grew up in Carrington and his mother passed away about a year ago. He is survived by one sister. I do not know what funeral plans are being made at this point, but will post them as I learn about them.

Please keep Otto, who always had a smile on his face, in your prayers,

A fellow native North Dakotan and colleague of Otto Rogelstad.

Thanks for the posting on Otto's passing. You see, Otto's parents were my great aunt and uncle.

Once both of us left UND, the years separated us. Fortunately, there are the many memories of all the time we spent together as kids.

When I was growing up in Fessenden, a trip to Carrington always was a special event. I don't ever recall coming back from Carrington without some of Otto's hand me downs. Being a year older, it was a perfect arrangement for me. As best I can remember, most of what I wore to my 18th birthday had, at one time, been in Otto's closet.

You are right, Otto's sense of humor was special. He loved to laugh, especially at himself. He kept things moving with it.

Otto's passing will be missed by many. What can't be taken away are the memories of his smile and humor.

My sincere condolences to you and your family.

I wish you could hear all of the wonderful things all of Otto's other colleagues have said about him, too. Everyone is in agreement that he was the nicest, caring man they have ever met. If I can obtain my company's approval, I will try to post an article that was written about Otto and posted on our company's intranet site this week.

Please take care.