SiouxSports.com Forum

#1 SEEDS THAT WON'T WIN

SIOUXPERGREEN

This season, what's the true showing of where the Gophers are at? Home ties against 8th place HE Boston University? Being embarrassed at the hands of Denver? An 0-4 regular season record against Duluth? Or back-to-back home sweeps of a mediocre St Cloud team and winning two playoff games held in front of 16,000 rabid Gopher fans in St Paul? I guess we'll find out who the real Gophers are this weekend.

I agree with that statement. That is exactly how I would say that. Right now if you listen to the Gopher fans chirping you would think that UofM was the hotest team in the country, that has an awesome defensive corps, great goaltending, and balanced scoring. And if you didn't look at their season record you would have thought that Minnesota had won the league and lost 4 games all season.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They lost six games all season with Ballard and Harrington back in the lineup (24-6-2 including 2-1 vs. North Dakota).

Here we go again with the excuses we lost when our players, so our loses were less significant, X players were out of the line up so we should be higher in the WCHA standing. If I am not mistaken you were pounded with a full line up in Denver. Explain that one. I also guess your win against UMD is tainted then since they were missing two of their top players.

They lost six games all season with Ballard and Harrington back in the lineup (24-6-2 including 2-1 vs. North Dakota).

Oh by the way UND lost 6 games all weekend. So what is your point.

Hmnnnnnnn...I thought it was Harrington. Perhaps I was mistaken. The point is, you're only as good as the team you have on the ice. UND played a key series back in December/January AT St Cloud without two of its big stars who were at the World Jr tournament. I didn't hear them grumbling about taking 3 of 4 points and missing out on that 4th one because players were missing, nor did I hear UMD babble about missing players in their semi-final loss. They had Goldy on the ropes twice, at 2-0 and 3-1, and choked it away. My guess is the 'Dogs are frothing at the bit for a rematch this weekend. And I hope they get it.

I didn't hear them grumbling
Who's grumbling? I was stating a fact. Dispute the fact. 24-6-2 with Harrington and Ballard back in the lineup.

They had Goldy on the ropes twice, at 2-0 and 3-1, and choked it away.

I don't see a lot of Minny fans talking about the UMD game. They seem to be talking about the UND game.

TC,

A little sensitive today? I was referring to UMD fans whining about missing players against Minnesota. They had no excuses. Like I said, 2-0 and 3-1...that game was theirs for the taking and they blew it. Why would Minny fans be talking about that game?

It truly is amazing, though, how highly Minnesota fans think of their team and no matter what, Goldy gets the short end of the stick. If it's not one thing it's another. I heard rumblings from co-workers Monday about how UND managed to get such an "easy" bracket despite losing the WCHA Final Five playoff. I'm thinking to myself, "HUH?". Regular season champs but playoff loser apparently means UND should have BC, Maine, and Michigan in its region while the playoff champ Gophers should get Holy Cross, Niagara, and the Hill-Murray Pioneers in theirs. Gimme a break!

We'll see how it shakes out this weekend and in the final four. Time will tell.

Although it is always nice to win the Final Five....It is a tournament - nothing more nothing less. A couple of games played over two days. The true test of a teams strength night in and night out is the McNaughton. Great...We lost the tournament over one game - big f'ing deal. Understanding the Regionals and FF are single elimination....anything can happen. But given the strength the Sioux have shown throughout the entire regular season (not just November this year as some Gopher fan's would claim) I like our chances in the single elimination format - especially after a tough loss last weekend.

It truly is amazing, though, how highly Minnesota fans think of their team and no matter what, Goldy gets the short end of the stick.
You haven't heard some North Dakota fans talk about Minnesota's home ice advantage. Or that the North Dakota semifinal game wasn't originally going to be televised. Or that Minnesota gets away with blatant high sticks. Or that Vanek won Rookie of the Year last season because of politics. Or that Bochenski got booed after the title game. Woah is me.

You described certain fans of every team in the country (although you lumped all Minnesota fans together which isn't surprising).

The true test of a teams strength night in and night out is the McNaughton.

Colorado College won the Cup last year. Denver the year before. North Dakota the year before. Wisconsin the year before. What do they have in common?

Waaaaaaaaaaaah. Re-read my post earlier about the conduct of Gopher fans directly towards me this past Saturday, TC, and you'll understand why I hate Minnesota so much. I've never yelled "f*** the Gophers" to a fan at a game, nor have I threatened fans or asked someone to "take it outside and we'll settle things."

My point was the Gophers should be happy with a #1 seed. PRI aside, how a #5 team in a league gets that is beyond me, but it's what the computer said, so that's how it is. It's just humorous to hear MORE whining now about why UND has an easier bracket. Is it because the people who picked the brackets took into consideration the entire season or because I picked the teams out of a hat myself this past weekend to determine the pairings? :lol:

This is so appropriate that I received this e-mail about two minutes ago. Here's a note from a friend of mine that attended the Final Five this past weekend with me...Gopher fan.

"Nice draw ND got. Denver who lost to Colorado, Holy Cross Who, and Miami Ohio.

Nice bracket."

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! We won the Final Five and still got screwed! :lol:

You haven't heard some North Dakota fans talk about Minnesota's home ice advantage. Or that the North Dakota semifinal game wasn't originally going to be televised. Or that Minnesota gets away with blatant high sticks. Or that Vanek won Rookie of the Year last season because of politics. Or that Bochenski got booed after the title game. Woah is me.

You described certain fans of every team in the country (although you lumped all Minnesota fans together which isn't surprising).

Colorado College won the Cup last year. Denver the year before. North Dakota the year before. Wisconsin the year before. What do they have in common?

Hey how much time do you spend on pi$$onit.com?

streakygopher = typicalgopher. I love how UM fans try to even remotely suggest that Xcel is a 50/50 venue for the Gophers. The noise was deafening in there Saturday night. Oh, by the way, real classy move by the WCHA to have the neutral announcers for every game EXCEPT the title game, which was announced by Minny's guy. Scott Hennen, the UND announcer, sat in front of me during the championship game. He was clearly steamed that they made sure he didn't do any Sioux games, then let Goldy's homer do the title game. Go back to 2001 and you almost see the smirk on Lucia's face when he tells reporters he expected Xcel to be 1/2 full of Maine fans for the title game. GIMME A BREAK!

Gosh, I suppose you're right. If not for the crowd, there's no way we win that game. And those darn WCHA officials allowed our homer announcer to fire up the boys...and how about that Don Adam not giving Vanek a 5 minute major! The nerve...I heard that they even tilt the ice (just a little mind you) so that the Gophers are always skating slightly down hill and the Sioux are skating up hill.

If not for these advantages, it's really probably not possible for us to have post season success. Forget that the team had to fight its way to the post season in 2002 and to the WCHA finals this year for that matter. But I suppose that's an advantage too, just knowing that if you make it all the way, you'll be playing in front of your home crowd...it almost worked last year for...who was it...Niagra? :lol:

None of them had two forwards as Hobey finalists. ;):lol:

Edited by PCM

double...I agree that winning the McNaughton is the true test of the league champion...no argument. BUT, it means nothing in the NCAA tournament where one bad bounce (or poor goalie performance) can send you packing.

After watching last Saturday's game between the rodents and the Sioux, I wouldn't COUNT ON either of the goaltenders. Either of them are capable of playing well enough to win. Unfortunately, the reverse is also true.

I consider this the Sioux's ONLY possible weakness: Goaltending (and, yes, I know all about the regular season stats...means nothing now)...then again, they said the same thing about Weber last year and Hauser the year before.

Is anyone arguing that regular season is a guarantee of post-season finish? I haven't heard anyone make that argument. If that's the case, let's stop March Madness and jump straight to the Final Four with Kentucky, Duke, St Josephs, and Stanford. Oh wait...nevermind...two of them are already done.

Streaky, I'd agree with you on the goalie issue for both teams. Wait a minute...did a Sioux fan and Gopher fan just find something in common that they agreed upon? Wow. What's next? Peace in Ireland and the Middle East? Dare to dream!