SiouxSports.com Forum

OT: Opinions on Ballard

DanHFboards

Ballard is the best all around player the Gophers have among upper classmen. He isn't as strong defensively as Jonesy is, but he can definitely score. I think it would be cool for Ballard and JOnesy to be on the same d pairing when they make the NHL.

I believe Jonesy is a bigger hitter and a little better at positioning on the defensive side of the puck.

Ballard is a very talented offensive D-man with his two biggest assets being his skating and his shot. In college he can skate his way out of trouble in his own end and is proficient at lugging the puck, one of the best UMN has had. His skating also allows him to join a rush quickly, and if he has space his slapper and snapper are deadly. However, he gambles too much and it leads to many odd-mans the other way. On the PP his accurate shot is a howitzer, but he could learn to be a bit more creative playmaking wise ala Martin, Leo, Crowley. Defensively he has grown this year. In open ice his poke-check is very effective and starts rushes. He'll throw a hip now and then and is difficult to beat one-on one. He needs to get stronger physically for the NHL and chases too much on the PK. One more year in college hockey playing major minutes would serve him well, as well as Gopher fans.

FYI, I can't believe GOON complimented a Gopher, that's like Norm offering to buy Cliffy a beer!