SiouxSports.com Forum

Ludwig bros. drafted by Red Deer of WHL

sprig

The Ludwig brothers were drafted in the Bantam draft by Red Deer of the WHL (rounds 10 and 11, 2001 draft). Red Deer has a top major junior team, won the Memorial Cup in 2001, and lost in the semis in 2002.

http://www.reddeerrebels.com/misc/drafts.html

We already know they stayed with their AAA midget team this past year. Don't know what future consequences the 2001 WHL draft has on these two.

Not sure if the WHL draft is a "you're drafted but you're not obligated to join us" like the NHL draft was prior to the opt-in requirements now in place.  I'd guess that being drafted by a WHL team would not preclude the Ludwig boys from going to the USHL or college route beforehand.  

I can imagine the looks on the faces of the Red Deer faithful trying to figure out where "TX" is in Canada.  :D

I'm sure you're right on the WHL's bantam draft. Those drafted  would still have to try out and make the team. Wonder if the Ludwigs were there last year trying out. TX to Alberta is a bit of a stretch. Can't imagine anyone in Red Deer thinking a hockey player could come from Texas.

I'd expect them to go the USHL route, especially if they have any interest in college.