SiouxSports.com Forum

Live, from D.C., Grand Forks restaurant reviews

jimdahl

So, I was catching up on the Washington Post restaurant reviews and it seems I had missed our very own G.F Herald restaurant reviews having caused quite a stir in our nation's capital.

In Grand Forks, Restaurant Week Reports the brouhaha begins:

College Park, Md.: Hi, If you (or the chatters) are in need of a good laugh, check out the restaurant reviews in the Grand Forks Herald:

www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/entertainment/dining

Tom Sietsema:  In her defense, I imagine the dining options in Grand Forks are, well, limited.

and continues

re: Grand Forks reviews: If I lived in Grand Forks, I'd shoot myself.

Tom Sietsema: Or at least dine at home.

Though you would think a discussion of G.F. restaurants in the D.C. restaurant review chat would be of limited scope and interest, it continues on to next week, Grand Forks, Cute Sommeliers:

Washington, D.C.: I just had to reply to last week's messages disparaging Grand Forks, ND. I?m not certain what the fine dining ratio is when compared to College Park, MD; however, to make fun of Marilyn Haggerty was truly low.

Tom Sietsema:  My apologies to anyone who was offended. As regular participants here know, I like to keep things lively in this forum. Poking fun of people is decidedly not my style -- and I was remiss for posting the reader's dart. As I said last week, far be it from A Former Farm Boy to be poking fun of someone in a neighboring state (which, for the record, I was NOT doing.)

Re: Grand Forks : Tom, having posted the attack against me (I am the young "lady" who posted about Marilyn Hagerty's reviews), I hope you will give me the chance to defend myself and then we can all drop the subject. I happen to like Grand Forks, and North Dakota, very much. I know many people in North Dakota, and they are all wonderful. All I found humorous were the restaurant reviews. There is a difference between laughing at ridiculous writing and thinking bad things about an entire state or even the person putting out the writing. Of course my husband and in-laws know about how I feel about them -- they know I think very highly of them. They also know about how I feel about the REVIEWS, which was the subject of my post, as it was my father-in-law (current Grand Forks resident) and his wife (raised in Devil's Lake, ND and educated at UND) who pointed them out to me. THEY found them ridiculous first. You don't have to be a big-city snob to find a restaurant of Taco Bell funny, I'm sorry.

Tom Sietsema: Thanks for your reply. It's a good one.

Case settled, folks.

There were quite a few more comments in each of the chats, but I hit the highlights. I've gotta admit that see the point of the woman who wrote in -- a newspaper restaurant review of Taco Bell is funny anywhere.

I've gotta admit that see the point of the woman who wrote in -- a newspaper restaurant review of Taco Bell is funny anywhere.

I had to check that out...true, she has a review of many fast food joints. She actually makes going to Taco Bell sound like an enjoyable experience, not just a late night drive through for munchies "run for the border". Gotta give her credit for that..