SiouxSports.com Forum

UD Cancer Research

sprig

Followed this link from a Scott post on USCHO:

http://www.intel.com/cure/

I've installed the United Devices Cancer Research module and created a team named, NDSioux hockey. Check it out and join if you like.

http://members.ud.com/service....DA4C321

Listed this site as a home page link. Hope that's ok with the site web master. Let me know if not and I'll take it out of the profile.

I've been doing this deal for about 6 months.  The program is designed to use many users' PCs to process computer modeling for different compounds that may be used to treat cancer at some point.  The computer processes an information packet and sends the results back to UD automatically, and then uploads another packet for analysis.  You also have the option to shut down the program and it won't start on a notebook operating on batteries to conserve power.

I've never had any problems with the software and it only uses CPU capacity that you are not using for other programs.  I figured for as much time as I spend on a computer for work, school and home, I may as well do something useful.  :D  If you decide to participate and want to use a work computer, you should check with your IT folks as packets being sent/received may hangup on your firewalls or violate computer usage policies.

Scott,

Was searching for a "team" that you may have created but didn't find one. Possible I downloaded a different module. At any rate, I created a Sioux "team", hope some join it.

Doesn't seem to affect my cpu's use at all. Instead, the UD Devices processing slows down when I'm using my cpu's resources myself. Guess this is the way it is designed to work (as Scott posted).

Beats searching for space aliens with seti@home, something I used to run.