SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Boy Makes Good

dagies

From today's Herald:

Gasparini believes Tippett will be successful in Dallas

Gino Gasparini said he wasn't surprised Thursday when he learned that Dave Tippett was named head coach of the National Hockey League's Dallas Stars.

Gasparini was the head coach at UND in the 1980s, when Tippett was one of his star forwards.

Congrats to Dave.  I understand that Craig Ludwig will leave/has left the Stars staff though. :D

Tippett helped gear up the Kings' into an offense oriented unit.  I'd expect he would do the same at Dallas which was yoked to Hitchcock's defensive scheme.  Of course, it makes you wonder if some of the Flyers' forwards will look to jump ship rather than playing clutch 'n grab or a picket defense setup.

Not sure on the reasons for Ludwig leaving, it was just part of the newswire I saw shortly after it became clear that Tippett would head up the Stars.  It may have just been a general "changing of the guard" that accompanies most coaching changes.  

I'd guess Ludwig will probably find another job in the NHL, or maybe a top job in the ECHL/AHL, pretty quickly as that seems to be his track and he's got a pretty solid background in the game. :D