SiouxSports.com Forum

#3 Matt Jones development

DanHFboards

NHL scouts have said that Matt Jones does not garner much attention because he does not shine in one particular area. Solid, steady, and consistent. Looking at the numbers, his offensive game has improved this year. How do Sioux fans see his progression at the collegiate level? In your opinion, what are his best assets and what will he need to work on for the jump to the next level? Comments appreciated.

GP   G  A  PTS  PIM

2003-04  29   7  9  16   20

2002-03  39   1  5  6    26

2001-02  37   2  5  7    20

NHL scouts have said that Matt Jones does not garner much attention because he does not shine in one particular area. Solid, steady, and consistent. Looking at the numbers, his offensive game has improved this year. How do Sioux fans see his progression at the collegiate level? In your opinion, what are his best assets and what will he need to work on for the jump to the next level? Comments appreciated.

Jones is solid. Very underrated. Very good on his feet, and doens't get burned very often. Great on the PK, good trasistion player as well. I think him and Matt Greene are one of the top defensive pairings in the country. Phoenix made a great choice, I'm really looking forward to seeing him play at the next level.

I've said it before.........

JONES FOR HOBEY!!

I have watched Jones progress from his days in Juniors in Green Bay to where he is today. He has always been a solid defender but this year he has stepped up to the plate and is putting points on the board. He has stepped up when the Sioux have needed him, helping contribute to their wins over Minnesota in November, St. Cloud in January, and CC this past Friday night. He has 7 goals, a career-high for him, just 6 goals away from tying former UND defenseman John Noah for the record. He moves the puck well and is good on his feet. He is rarely beat to the net. He is a solid 2-way defender and is becoming more of an offensive-defenseman. He has 15 points so far this season, 3 more than in his first two seasons combined. He has played for the USA in the World Junior Championship and in 2 Four Nations Tournaments, being named top defenseman in one of them. The announcers have commented on him being one of the best in the WCHA and I also heard an interview with the New Jersey Devils scout, who agreed. I think Jones will jump straight to pros and will do very well with the Coyotes.