SiouxSports.com Forum

ND h.s. bball: is it getting worse?

UND92,96

I've had the pleasure of watching Grant develop the last 2 years. He may not be as fluid as some players but I haven't seen anyone that works as hard on the court as he does. We could use more players like him. He is definitely a fan favorite. He always seems to be on the floor after every loose ball. His enthusiasm rubs off on his teammates.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.......(for example DI-AAA UW-Green Bay) to any other DI would require him to sit out for a season. A transfer to a DII or DIII and he'd be immediately eligible to play.

* DI-AAA: They don't play football at all.

Taking this definition to the heart. UND would be classified as a Divison II school, because it's football team is Division II, even though UND has sports that participate at the Division I level.

Grant has certainly turned out to be a solid player for Northern, but I don't think you can fault UND or NDSU for not going after him. He missed most of his senior year with a suspension, in fact Berthold entered tournament play with a losing record and advanced all the way to the state championship game because he returned to the team. The combination of him not playing a full senior season and the obvious questions about the character of a kid that gets suspended probably caused alot of schools to cool on him.

Northern did well with a roster full of ND kids a few years ago but people tend to forget that UND's most successful stretch in men's basketball (the early 90s) was with teams full of local players (Guldseth, Vonesh, Gardner, Robertson, Jacobson) with some key transfers or jucos like Burkett and Bo Powell mixed in. Now granted, that was a tremendous run of local talent, but combined with what Northern St. did, that's two D2 teams in the last 10 or 12 years that featured local players and were the best in the area.