SiouxSports.com Forum

Interesting book/story about integrated pro baseball years before Jack

ScottM

I just read a book called "Only the Ball Was White" by Robert Peterson. It chronicles black players and teams leading up to integration of the major leagues. Very good book. It does mention the Bismarck team, but this article goes into much more detail. I love that picture in the article you posted.

The book mentions that there were several integrated teams in the upper midwest, including Jamestown, North Dakota, some in South Dakota and over the border in Canada. Black players moved around much more easily in this part of our country in those days and black barnstorming teams were welcomed in the upper midwest to not only play and thoroughly beat the local teams in the small towns, but to partake in the town picnics after the games. The small towns were thrilled to have players of that caliber come play the locals and even enjoyed whatever antics the barnstorming teams would pull during the games as part of the entertainment.

Again, this is a great post Scott! Thanks for sharing.

I think this will link to a .pdf file of the book, "Only the Ball Was White":

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=BO2RtomcBOoC&oi=fnd&pg=PA2&dq=only+the+ball+was+white&ots=uLz683KkvG&sig=jVHE-llAFnYVws0BgwnNm9eXJxc