SiouxSports.com Forum

Al Carlson getting ripped by Mike McFeely

darell1976

More it was people knew that if their income taxes went down their property taxes would go up. People did not like the idea of another regressive tax. The state property tax is miniscule. On one piece of my property the tax bill was $1,087.12 which a whole $4.00 went to the state. Property taxes are a local issue. Schools, parks, and county taxes are what your real property tax is all about. Now UNDBIZ do you agree with me that Hamm got what he wanted with his so-called "gift"?

You're correct, the state's portion of the property tax is quite small. However, in recent years the state has shown a willingness to "buy down" local property taxes using state funds. Unfortunately for property owners, this has in large part simply resulted in an increase in local government spending.

I don't recall being one of the people who felt his gift was clean to begin with. I do believe he got the income tax deduction and the public goodwill that he was looking for though. ;)