SiouxSports.com Forum

Recent problems / downtime on Dec. 19

administrator

Well, the good news is the techs are pretty sure they discovered the source of the instability over the last couple weeks, the bad news is that they discovered it only when a disk failed completely, resulting in significant downtime today as the hardware was replaced and backups restored.

I pay a third party to host the site because they have superior network connectivity, maintain the operating system, and so forth, freeing me to concentrate on content creation. However, in the case of a hardware failure like this, we're pretty much at their mercy.

Believe me, no one finds such unreliability more frustrating than I, and I am actively exploring options to improve it. I have been considering hosting this site myself, because it frankly receives an insane amount of traffic now and its stability would benefit tremendously from having its own server. Of course, the drawback would be that I would spend a lot of the time I can devote to this project to things like operating system maintenance rather than programming/HTML-writing, not to mention a significant increase in cost. I'll certainly keep you all informed.

OK, the message board is running on the new server. The URL with the IP address is

only temporary. If performance works out well, I'll move the SiouxSports.com domain name over; otherwise, I'll move the board back and go back to the drawing board.