SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux on Satellite

PSB

My quality dipped to 52% last night, but I kept a pretty good picture (a little pixalating at times, but pretty good overall). It was raining last night where I live so I'm not sure what the difference was between my situation and the situation of others. Today, I'm back up to around 63% (no rain) so it should be great.

Just swapped over to my DirecPC dish Quality went from 50-70+ : ) On the football game!

I WILL be watching Sioux hockey tonight! I dont know if I can post pictures here but I installed the DirecPC dish upside down, looks cool!

Go Sioux!

Check this link, someone with a spectrum analyzer scanned the G3C satellite during the game, the Sioux game is the lowest signal there...... spiked signals are analog haystack shaped are digital............the game is at 12000MHz : (

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=2661

The time is wrong on the shot but it was done during the game!

The satellite situation is very frustrating this year. Once again, this weekend it fails to meet expectations. Friday night the hockey game was watchable to the end of the first period with occassional wiping off the rain on the dish and LNB. Saturday afternoon the football game reception was fantastic (which I am thankful for). The hockey game was good until the start of the second period. By the middle of the second period it was unwatchable.

How can we get UND to step up and make the satellite signal viewable for all games?

My quality dipped to 52% last night, but I kept a pretty good picture (a little pixalating at times, but pretty good overall).  It was raining last night where I live so I'm not sure what the difference was between my situation and the situation of others.  Today, I'm back up to around 63% (no rain) so it should be great.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mksioux

can I ask what setup (dish & receiver) you are using to get a 52??

My dish is peaked to the max (30") and can only get a 45 max

The satellite situation is very frustrating this year.  Once again, this weekend it fails to meet expectations.  Friday night the hockey game was watchable to the end of the first period with occassional wiping off the rain on the dish and LNB.  Saturday afternoon the football game reception was fantastic (which I am thankful for).  The hockey game was good until the start of the second period.  By the middle of the second period it was unwatchable. 

How can we get UND to step up and make the satellite signal viewable for all games?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have e-mailed the Ralph twice and did get a response that it was my dish. Jamie was the person I e-mailed and he said it was fine there.....hmmmmm, lets see...your dish is less than 500 feet fron the frickin uplink!! Of course it will work there.

I have the same system as MKSioux, installed by Pete in early December last year. I had nothing from the 12000 V 4880 all weekend. I could pick up CCTV (Quality > 75 on Saturday night) but no Sioux football or hockey :-( I don't kow whether to e-mail UND or have Pete come out. MKSioux makes it sound like I could use a fine-tuning, The rest of the board sounds like it's UND's problem :D

squirtcoach

Its a combination of the two.

-The power the Ralph is sending out this year is no where near what it was last year. Last year I could ghetto move the dish to G3 and get a reasonable signal and then fine tune it to a 90 quality. This year with a motorized unit the best I can get is a 46...the chinese channels are at 90+. Fridays game was a wash due to the weather. If it isn't clear or barely cloudy, we're screwed.

-it sounds like your system needs to be peaked...a couple millimiters makes a difference :ohmy:

Here in the SW Minny-apples area was hit and miss...

Friday: 1 period watchable at 36-39% signal quality, crapped out after that and ended up at 33%, the rain and overcast skies definitely were key

Saturday afternoon: fooball game came in great, no problems at 38-39%

Saturday night: same as afternoon

My system is the Satwork ST3618 and I had PSB point it for me...Typically I get the Chinese Channels in the upper 80's for signal quality and the Sioux channel has never been higher than 40%. As long as it stays above 36%, I'm ok.

I hope UND does something about this weak transmission but any Sioux action I get to see is a bonus.

COOL!  Signal seems A LOT better today for the football game, I am getting 60% quality on 30" dish and 75% quality on my DirecPC dish  : )

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was getting a 55% Quality and the game was fine. During the first quarter, I was down to 50 and it was all pixelated. I assume it was weather related. The second quarter and second half were super. Thanks again for the system tweak, PSB. Can't wait for next Saturday. GO SIOUX!

I got a Direct PC dish from Pete and had a 75 for the game yesterday!! This is a 39 x 23 fixed dish. My motorized was around a 61 for the game.

I wonder if the reason it was better was because it was being beamed to Michigan (WXSP in Grand Rapids was showing the game) was the reason they cranked up the power.

I hope I am wrong and this is permanent :D

I got a Direct PC dish from Pete and had a 75 for the game yesterday!! This is a 39 x 23 fixed dish. My motorized was around a 61 for the game.

I wonder if the reason it was better was because it was being beamed to Michigan (WXSP in Grand Rapids was showing the game) was the reason they cranked up the power.

I hope I am wrong and this is permanent :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've talked to Jamie at the Ralph about using more power in transmitting, but he has steadfastly stated that he is already using more power than last year. Consequently, I don't think he was using more power to get the signal to Michigan last weekend. In fact, the signal strength on my receiver in Ohio was the same as prior weekends until I tweaked my dish during the Saturday football broadcast.

Clearly, the difference in reception this year has to be from the transmission side or the relay at the satellite company. Jamie at Ralph says they are assigned the satellite frequency by the satellite company at the beginning of the season and this is beyond UND's control. Thus, the poor quality could be coming from the satellite relay.

Go Sioux!

I've talked to Jamie at the Ralph about using more power in transmitting, but he has steadfastly stated that he is already using more power than last year.  Consequently, I don't think he was using more power to get the signal to Michigan last weekend.  In fact, the signal strength on my receiver in Ohio was the same as prior weekends until I tweaked my dish during the Saturday football broadcast.

Clearly, the difference in reception this year has to be from the transmission side or the relay at the satellite company.  Jamie at Ralph says they are assigned the satellite frequency by the satellite company at the beginning of the season and this is beyond UND's control.  Thus, the poor quality could be coming from the satellite relay. 

Go Sioux!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've talked to Jamie twice and he said its fine on his end. He's getting a 39 or 40 on his setup...now a 39 or 40 when your system is 100 feet from the uplink is crazy!

I always have had a 45 max before this weekend...and that includes the 2 previous football games. My dish is as peaked as much as it can be (done by a PROfessional, PSB). I got a bigger dish and it seemed to help.

I have a feeling maybe the pressure from the advertisers to WDAZ (the co-producer)might have something to do with it...if the signal isnt good, people cant see it and then advertisers are spending money for nothing :D