SiouxSports.com Forum

Final Five Thoughts

dagies

A few thoughts on the tourney this weekend:

Was there for 4 of the 5 games, missed the 3rd place game.  Didn't miss anything.....

4 of the 5 games were pretty boring.  Not much flow and not much scoring for the most part.  Again, I didn't see the 3rd place game in person but from the little I saw on the tube and talking to people at the game, it wasn't much to see.

CC really worked hard this weekend and managed to win 2 of 3 games.  Hopefully they will be the 4th WCHA team in the tourney.

SCSU:  Can you say "swoonskies"?   I was thinking the Dahl had figured out how to win but the last couple of years and the last half of this year have me wondering.  Did he overachieve early this year?  Or can't he keep his team going at the end of the year?  Is it time for him to move on?????

MN:  Scary offensive team.  Yow.  They are so dangerous with the puck.  Hauser imploded tonite though.  Not that he let in soft shots, but with the game on the line with 4-5 minutes left he takes 2 stupid penalties.  Not smart.........I have been a Hauser supporter when many goofer faithful rode him like a dog but tonite I think he really cost his team.

Nice meeting you Kiork.

Missed seeing the Sioux at the tourney.  Didn't miss seeing ALL the Sioux fans proudly wearing their colors at the event.  Definitely a lot of loyal Sioux fans were at the games. Very impressive showing of green jerseys, hats, etc at the games.

Denver is a very very good team too.  What can you say about Dubiewicz?  Wow, is he quick, and well positioned.  

Gwodzdecky is the most fun coach to watch.  We were directly across the rink from him and often we could hear him yelling instructions at the players on the ice, or giving an earful to the refs.  

Goddard really seemed to want to give the gophs every chance on the PP tonite against Denver.

Great crowds at most of the games, even Thurs during the storm.  Set a new attendance record.

Already can't wait to see the Sioux back at the Five next year.  Where's my ticket order application??!!!

;)

Dub was great, and Hauser was not good. He struggled with the first shot from center ice, then went downhill. Goph looked good enough to have a chance to win with Hauser, but not if they meet another team with goal tending and D like Denver. Then again, probably not against a team with offense like UNH either, as Hauser will probably let in 6+.

Hoping for Denver to get three more wins and win it for the WCHA; would prefer CC to do it, but doesn't look like they are playing well enough to get it done. Think Hauser will lose it against a team like UNH or Maine. Gophs ought to get by a CCHA team if they face them.

Good to see Hauser finally get penalties for his slashing and spearing. He nearly fell on his face several times trying to stick someone skating in front of his crease. As good as the Goph are, don't see how they can win without better goal tending.

Wendel did a good Dub takeout without being pushed in; can't believe Goddard missed that; man in the crease plus goalie interference. Not sure what the reviewers were looking at. Don't understand the explanation that he got out before the puck went in; in the crease should be whistled immediately, regardless of whether there is a shot or not. Still there is the goalie interference. The USCHO recap of the game questions both goph goals, as the crease was marked NHL style, although Sheppard said  the calls would be made as the crease was drawn.

Nice goph dives also, but there was only one I thought Denver didn't deserve after watching the replay. On the other hand, can't understand why the gophs get by with stuff while opponents do not. (waiting patiently for the standard "lots of stuff got missed both ways" post, yeah, right) Gophs were given every advantage to win this game, but didn't. Denver is clearly the better team with their goalie and D.

SCSU, wouldn't count on them winning a game again this year. Looks like they peaked long ago.

After a long run of getting brothers to play for the Sioux, how did we not get Bull number 2?

One more item, for all you shoppers. Scheel's in Minot was selling Sioux stuff at big reductions. $100 jerseys for $40, as well as many other big reducts. Maybe they're doing the same in GF.