SiouxSports.com Forum

FCS to FBS: 10 programs that should

star2city

This will drive certain NDSU fans bonkers:

UND included within 10 FCS programs that should jump to FBS

Most of these suggestions are not at all feasible: financially, or due to conference invite issues, from a media perspective, or from a stadium perspective. Appy State is probably most ready (Montana needs more sports added), and UMass and Delaware really should play up soon. UND would really have to redo Memorial Stadium to 20,000+ seats - moving the track out of there - and maybe play later November games and Thursday night TV games in the Alerus. If the new indoor practice facility is really getting built, Memorial Stadium's location does become more game friendly (pre-game parties/half-time fan warmup ), FBS does become more feasible 10 years down the road.

You do like to torture them don't you? ;)

At times, I may just stir the pot a little. But, hey, they need help recognizing their insecurities. :D

Just providing a public service. ;)

BTW, IMHO the time is fast approaching that UND and NDSU need to be partner as prospective FBS schools to gain WAC admission. If or when Montana gets in, Montana State would likely close follow. Once that happens, North Dakota schools could come into play. If UND can continue to build up its facilities (new parking garage to allow building track/soccer field, upgraded Memorial), and it's TV broadcasting capability (expand relationship with FCS, move into Canadian systems, HD, etc), it would be better set than most existing WAC schools. I also think that NDSU needs to relook at whom it is competing with academically: SDSU is attracting many Minnesota students and is practically a duplication of NDSU academics. For the betterment of the state of ND, athletic cooperation between UND and NDSU should be pursued to bring both to FBS.

This will drive certain NDSU fans bonkers:

UND included within 10 FCS programs that should jump to FBS

Most of these suggestions are not at all feasible: financially, or due to conference invite issues, from a media perspective, or from a stadium perspective. Appy State is probably most ready (Montana needs more sports added), and UMass and Delaware really should play up soon. UND would really have to redo Memorial Stadium to 20,000+ seats - moving the track out of there - and maybe play later November games and Thursday night TV games in the Alerus. If the new indoor practice facility is really getting built, Memorial Stadium's location does become more game friendly (pre-game parties/half-time fan warmup ), FBS does become more feasible 10 years down the road.

That is an excellent blog article. According to the blog UND won an FCS title in 2001 and was an FCS runner-up in 2003. I did not know that, please accept my belated congratulations ;)

At times, I may just stir the pot a little. But, hey, they need help recognizing their insecurities. :D

Just providing a public service. ;)

BTW, IMHO the time is fast approaching that UND and NDSU need to be partner as prospective FBS schools to gain WAC admission. If or when Montana gets in, Montana State would likely close follow. Once that happens, North Dakota schools could come into play. If UND can continue to build up its facilities (new parking garage to allow building track/soccer field, upgraded Memorial), and it's TV broadcasting capability (expand relationship with FCS, move into Canadian systems, HD, etc), it would be better set than most existing WAC schools. I also think that NDSU needs to relook at whom it is competing with academically: SDSU is attracting many Minnesota students and is practically a duplication of NDSU academics. For the betterment of the state of ND, athletic cooperation between UND and NDSU should be pursued to bring both to FBS.

Totally agree. If we're gonna do this DI B.S., lets do it all the way. When the 4 Super conferences their ducks in a row, their will be big conference's that need teams. Think anyone is going to want Iowa St.? C'mon.....................I believe we can do better than the the FCS portion of DI athletics

That is an excellent blog article. According to the blog UND won an FCS title in 2001 and was an FCS runner-up in 2003. I did not know that, please accept my belated congratulations ;)

Just knew you would agree! ;) In the world according to ESPN et. al., FCS and DII football are such niche sports, no one knows the difference.

Totally agree. If we're gonna do this DI B.S., lets do it all the way. When the 4 Super conferences their ducks in a row, their will be big conference's that need teams. Think anyone is going to want Iowa St.? C'mon.....................I believe we can do better than the the FCS portion of DI athletics

As much as people brag up the Missouri Valley, it's schools aren't exactly research or academic powerhouses. Someday, would really like to see a Northern Pacific division of the WAC (Idaho, Montana, Montana St, Wyoming, UND, NDSU). If the North Dakota DAC teams can line up with Montana/Idaho/Oregon/Utah schools, one would think the flagships could.

As far as Iowa State, they basically have a standing invite to the Big East (if that conference still exists :ohmy: ).