SiouxSports.com Forum

Home advantage

jimdahl

The recent talk about home ice advantage made me decide that I should quit complaining and go contribute something, so here you go:

On Home Ice Advantage (from http://blog.siouxsports.com)

If you just want the conclusions, jump to the table in the post and then read below. Instead of just looking at winning percentage at home, I'm looking at the difference between winning percentage at home and winning percentage on the road. Not surprisingly, that different methodology leads to dramatically different conclusions from USCHO's. In WCHA play from 01-02 through 08-09:

• CC has, by a huge margin, the largest gap between home winning percentage and road winning percentage.
  • AA has a huge home ice advantage -- with a .116 higher winning percentage at home than on the road (in percentage terms, the Seawolves are a whopping 49% more likely to win a given game at home than on the road, by far the largest in the WCHA).
  • UND's home advantage is not particularly large, actually rather near the bottom of the WCHA. Only about .05 higher winning percentage at home than on the road (or about 8.5% more likely to win a given game at home than on the road).
  • Minnesota appears to have a home ice disadvantage, with a .009 higher winning percentage on the road than at Mariucci.

A few more disclaimers apply, which I won't get into here, but did in the blog post.