SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Recruiting

GeauxSioux

Wahpeton track standout Smith has Division I football options

Wahpeton junior Ryan Smith has always been a track and field guy.

It’s in his genes.

Smith’s father, Randy, was a track athlete at Northern State University in Aberdeen, S.D. Ryan’s older sisters, Kiki and Allie, both ran at the University of South Dakota after standout careers with the Huskies.

“My sister, Allie, says all the girls go for football players not track guys (in college),” said Ryan, who won the 200-meter dash and finished third in the 100 during Friday’s MAA Invitational at Jake Christiansen Stadium.

No worries. This kid’s got plenty of options.

Ryan received an offer Wednesday night to play football for North Dakota State. He’s also been offered a football scholarship by the University of North Dakota.

He’s was clocked at 10.7 secondslast year in the 100, and 22.20 in the 200.
Smith has drawn comparisons to former Bismarck High and University of North Dakota football standout Weston Dressler. Like Smith, Dressler never let his diminutive 5-foot-8 frame stop him from excelling in track and football in high school.
Let's hope he follows in Dressler's footsteps. I would love to see some of Weston's records fall. :)

• 2 months later...

Derek Allen - Canadian

six-foot-two, 220 pound linebacker, Derek Allen is a physical specimen on the gridiron. He credits his development to Tom Langford, who coaches the linebackers at TCS.

"T. L. is the most significant coach in my football career," Allen said. "I owe a lot of my success to his coaching."

His dad agreed.

"Everything that he's learned about the fine art of linebacking, he's got from Tom," Drew re-affirmed.

Starting this fall, Allen will play out his final year at TCS. He will then have to make a decision as to where the next stage in his football career will take place.

His options will including Canadian universities, especially Bishops, as well as schools south of the border in Buffalo, North Dakota and Hawaii.

Academic programs will be a major contributing factor, as will the opinion of someone very important to him; his mother Sue.